Re: drop in for 2.8l

But doesn't the 3.1 actually push more HP and torque?

I thought the 3.1 was actually higher than the 3.4 (I didn't state that very clear). Isn't there 2 options on the 3.4L? One standard and one overhead cam?

Not sure. There is an over head 3.8, do not believe so on the small 6, but not sure. The 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 for are the same block. Everything can remain the same on the top end. You will push the most from the 3.4 by per rev.
98 Camaro

There was a DOHC 24 valve version of the 3.4 that was available in the Lumina Z34, and the Lumina and Monte Carlo LTZ, that put out 210 Hp. This was a FWD block and I'm not sure if all the parts can easily be transferred to a RWD block. Probably not worth the cost. - Gary

The problem you introduce there is that the ECM (plus programming to tune to the weight differential and all that) and wire harness. Not the case with a 2.8 to 3.1 or 3.4 upgrade. Not to shoot down, but much more simplistic with the simp swap. Otherwise, you might as well spend a couple bucks extra to drop in a 350.
-- 98 Camaro