Re: ironrod focks up alternators

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:32:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

lets turn this up a notch
what's there to turn up? everything there makes sense.. i think. battery provides power to the car, alternator keeps batter charged, voltage regualtor keeps the power output in check, and there will be a sensor there somewhere to signal the guage on the dash what to display. the only thing that doesn't make sense is the term 'generator'.. i'm not sure why a shop manual would call it that, that's not what an alternator does. an generator is a simple device, really.. and incredibly inneficient and weak. i don't think they have used generators in cars in more than 25 years.
an alternator, on the other hand, is immeasurably more efficient when compared to a generator, has slip rings instead of commutators, and produces up to 120 volts DC via a voltage regulator and state regualtor.
">>measure voltage at battery >>if its 14.5 or more the regualtor is ocked" --true.. but the regualtor is part of the alternator. thusly, the alternator is "focked"

-
i meant AC, hehe sorry ;) but i didn't know that it could be more.
so far we seem to be in agreement on the usage of an alternator... it's been an informative post for all, i hope =)

the latest ford manual for a 05 mustang call it a generator LMFAO
h u r c

And so do the newer DC Service manuals. At the chrysler group, one of the guys there mentioned the reason it is a generator know instead of an alternator!
I have one 10SI here that I have had up to 220 with a good cooling fan on it. The field windings will take it but the stator starts to get REAL hot if you don't push some air through the housing. The older 10 series can do a bit more but the slip rings start to arc. if you really want to play with one find one of the older Leese Neville units from a heavy truck. Those can really crank out some power. 300 amps plus and 120 AC is child's play with them. Take a look at many ambulances and they are under the hood powering the hotel load. They are BIG and HEAVY though.
--
Steve W.