Re: Loss of power in a '92 Camaro with 3.1L engine

take off IAC, spray it with carb cleaner, reset . I would start there. Next I would be looking at fuel filter.

I'd like to pick your collective brains about a problem I'm having with my > '92 Camaro. The car has recently been acting up during my morning commute. > The problem usually occurs after the car has warmed up, and approximately 2 > miles after leaving the house. The problem is that the car looses power as > I'm holding the gas pedal constant (rpm and speed will steadily decrease > while I hold the gas pedal in the same position). Sometimes during this loss > of power it will also backfire. If I let off the gas, I will feel a brief > surge before the engine drops down to idle. If I press the gas pedal all the > way down, the engine will run like it should at wide-open throttle, but as > soon as I let off the gas again, I'm back to the same problem. > > Usually this problem will persist for about 2 mi, and then the car is fine > for the rest of the day. Has anyone else had this problem before? > > I put an ohm meter across the throttle position sensor, and the resistance > changes smoothly with throttle position, so I think I have ruled out a dirty > TPS. The fact that it happens after the car is warmed up leads me to think > that something in the close-loop mode is causing the problem, and that all > of the basic stuff (like mechanical parts, plugs, plug wires, distributor > cap, and rotor) are okay. (And I have already changed the plugs, plug wires, > distributor cap, and rotor.) > > Thanks, > Bob David > > > >
Reply to
Justbrilliant

First thought while reading your post was O2 sensors, since they don't effect the ECM until heated. Are you getting any SES lights? The backfire would usually indicate bad timing (basically, the chain if high mileage) or faulty ignition. When was the last tune up? (plugs, wires, cap, rotor)

--

98 Camaro

Reply to
98 Camaro

approximately

distributor

Reply to
Robert P David

Check your electronic ignition module. I had a similar experience with my 92. Had to wait for it to finally get bad enough to find it. Mine backfired so bad it blew a hole in the muffler (a recently new one). The backfire was caused by fuel build up in the exhaust while the sparkplugs were not firing, then all of a sudden would start again.

Reply to
LFDavidson