Re: Loss of power in a '92 Camaro with 3.1L engine

take off IAC, spray it with carb cleaner, reset . I would start there. Next I would be looking at fuel filter.

First thought while reading your post was O2 sensors, since they don't effect the ECM until heated. Are you getting any SES lights? The backfire would usually indicate bad timing (basically, the chain if high mileage) or faulty ignition. When was the last tune up? (plugs, wires, cap, rotor)
-- 98 Camaro

Thanks all for the replies. The SES light doesn't come on when this problem occurs. I Replac3e the plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor wwhen ththis problem first started happening.I cleaned the IAC per Just Brilliant's sugestion. It was pretty coked up, but the problem happened again this morning. The frustrating thing is that the car ran just fine all the way home this evening. I'm thinking about replacing the spark control module for the next step. any ideas?

Check your electronic ignition module. I had a similar experience with my 92. Had to wait for it to finally get bad enough to find it. Mine backfired so bad it blew a hole in the muffler (a recently new one). The backfire was caused by fuel build up in the exhaust while the sparkplugs were not firing, then all of a sudden would start again.