Recall on '89 Camaro?

My friend told me that the seatbelts were recalled because they could break and stop the rider from getting unbuckled in an emergency. He also told me that in California plants (I think it was California), they use a bad primer for the paint, so he's entitled to new seatbelt buckles and a paint job. Is this true?

Horseface

Reply to
Horseface

Like Joe said, if it ain't under warranty, you're probably going to have to pay for replacement out of pocket. That being said, yes, there were two seat belt related recalls for the '89.

One is related to the rear seat belt webbing being a tad too long and I doubt this is really something most folks will get fixed, especially since the impact group is extremely minute. (~35)

Here's the info on the second seat belt related item:

Make : CHEVROLET Model : CAMARO Year : 1989 NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 90V105000 Recall Date : MAY 04, 1990 Component: SEAT BELTS:FRONT:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1500000 Summary: PLASTIC COMPONENTS OF SEAT BELT BUCKLE ASSEMBLIES DO NOT CONTAIN AN ULTRA VIOLET STABILIZER, AND EXPOSURE TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT AND ELEVATED INTERIOR TEMPERATURES COULD WEAKEN THE PLASTIC COMPONENTS. Consequence: THIS COULD RESULT IN BREAKAGE OF PLASTIC COMPONENTS WHICHCOULD PREVENT BUCKLE FROM LATCHING AND PROTECTING OCCUPANT IN A SUDDEN STOP ORACCIDENT. Remedy: REPLACE OR REPAIR SEAT BELT BUCKLE.

Sorry 'bout the caps, but that's a direct cut and past from the site and I'm not going to take the time to beautify it for you. If you plan to keep driving the vehicle I would do a little research and find out if your buckle has already been replaced. If it has not, I would get it swapped out, but that's just me.

begin 666 spacer.gif M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)$!`/___P```/___P```"'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```(" $3 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
GLK9MM

I doubt the paintjob, but the seatbelts are a safety issue and will almost certainly be covered.

Doesn't hurt to contact Chevrolet and/or the nhtsa (

) or your local AAA Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

His front passenger seat belt did, in fact, fade and crack, and I got stuck in it (not in an emergency or anything), but he bought the car used this past year, so I doubt anything would be covered.

Horseface

Reply to
Horseface

Exactly. Warranty or no warranty, if it is a safety issue (seatbelts, ABS, fuel, etc) they legally are supposed to replace it. Iv had to go through this on my truck recently.

Reply to
Benito

And as for the paint job I had an 89 rs warranty was only for five years on the paint. Seems in california where they built camaros they had to use waterbased paints and clearcoat to get away from the VOC laws they instituted. Then they sent em to Canada where you can use real paint!!!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave