Removing mirror from side mirror assembly?

One of the springs on the adjuster for my side mirror has finally given out. I got the mirror off the car, but how do I get the mirror off to get to the
inside off the assembly - does it just pop out? Wanted to ask before I break anything :)
Anybody know what the assembly might run minus the mirror housing?
Thanks PA