slightly OT: old "new" tires (old post revisited)

Anyone recall the posting from a few months ago regarding using tires that are several years old but never (or hardly) used? The consensus seemed to be that even if tires are in pristine condition, if they are more than a few years old they should be replaced. I need some back-up to settle an argument in my family about this topic. My wife swears that her dad's VW microbus does not need tires because the ones on it are in such good shape...although they must have been installed around 1998 and the vehicle has been parked with the tires on for at least

6 years (it's driven minimally each summer). I say it's risky to drive it at 70mph with those tires. Any comments appreciated.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I'd have to agree that it would be better to replace them.

Reply to
FBR

I've looked at some of the manufacturers web sites and they are kind of vague when looking for a difinative expiration date on the tire life. Generally, if there are signs of cracking or uneven wear it is time to replace them. 7 years is about the limit according to some sites. I've had snow tires that I used for ten seasons without replacing, but they were stored away in plastic bags every spring, dismounted of course.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

new tires are ALWAYS better than 7 year old tires. that said, I've driven on tires that were way older than that on the highway... it's not like they self destruct at 8 years old or anything.

As tires get old, they get harder and start to crack. Much like Michael Jackson's face. ;) Unlike jacko's nose, a new set of tires can make an old car handle like a new one.

use your best judgement. If they're worn and cracking - what's it worth to you for peace of mind? If you don't trust them to survive the highway trip... replace 'em.

Ray

Reply to
user

Yes, common sense is the argument I used w/ my wife...didn't seem to work though. It would be one thing if it the vehicle was just used occasionally around town at low speeds, but we had this microbus out on the interstate-- too risky for the tires!

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Hello all,

the life of your tires depends ONLY on its quality.

E.g. my `83 Rabbit has `82 Vredestein Snow Tires on (European made), SR rated, which are used all the year round. The car is used with speeds up to nearly 100 mls.

These tires show neither cracks nor get they too hart (despite the fact they get harder because of the drying out and the loss of rubber).

But: I bought some tires in the US years ago (235/60-15 SR rated) @ 24.96 USD. They were not working long.

Please have an eye on the Treadwear and the other information the tire gives to you.

Reply to
Willy Berneck

S is speed rating, R is your speed rating. From what I recall that means do not exceed 85 MPH.

M+S or "all Season" means a tire is rated for all weather types. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
brxsep

You are correct. The Pontiac Oakland Club International published an item in one of their news letters last year on this topic. The rule is ten years and out for stored tires like the spare, less for all the rest.

The reason why is age hardens the compound so while they look OK, the compound has lost the ability to flex and grip. UV is speeds up the process. The item sighted BMW, VW and other manufactors publishing in the owner's manual warnings on tire age. There is no known test or inspection to determine how far gone the tires are.

While a bone yard can sell what looks like a good set of tires or a never used spare, in fact the tire could fail when stressed (ie high-speed) the first time.

In the US, the issue is with the tire makers no willing to put use by or born on (like some beers) dates. Fearing the public will reject tires held in inventory for a year or two over 'fresh'. Congress and the Feds go around and around on this every few years. The notion is a year old tire from the warehouse is bad and new is better.

Also mention was limited mileage tires, such as Z rated 20K to 24K mileage tires. These tires are built to be used up in two to three years then replaced. Again, the compound is designed to grip the road and loses that ability over time.

Bottom line is if they are close to ten years old, its time to replace.

Reply to
brxsep

On 9 Jun 2005 18:39:43 -0700, "brxsep" puked:

That is very true. Happened to me.

lab~rat

Tires, Batteries, Spark Plug Wires, and other commenly replaced parts hav a date code on them. Month & Year of manufactor.

Other car parts are dated useing the julian date code system. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

"Charles Bendig" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:WBjpe.23242$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...

thank you boy.

As you can see I send from Europe and everybody in E. says the speed rate (Geschwindigkeitsklasse) is SR, TR, UR, VR, ZR etc.

Second is: YOUR speed in the US is 70 mls maximum. Only those in Germany are allowed unlimited when explicitly signed on their autobahns.

Greetings to the old

Reply to
Georg Hanuschik