Temp gauge readings

I have a couple of questions. I have a 68 camaro with the temp sensor in the water neck . To get the electrical lead to the sensor I had to splice
in a length of wire and soldered both ends. The temp gauge reads high--note that the sender is the right one for the gauge. I wonder two things:
1. Could soldering affect the line resistance and the gauge reading? 2. Is the water neck location significantly hotter than the original block location (which I can't use because the appropriate sender is 1/2 inch and in the newer motor the sender is tapped for a 3/8 inch sender).
Thanks for your thoughts.
Steve
What do you consider "High"?
None of the things you have done should have any ill effects on the way the guage reads. Remember, stock guages are not very accurate. That's why the temp guages in many older cars don't even have numbers on them. You just need to know what is normal and watch to see if it ever goes higher.
Gary

Well, the gauge goes all the way to the last hash mark before yellow. I know the actual temperature isn't that hot (using a thermometer) but what it leaves me is basically no range on the gauge.
Thanks,
Steve