Temperature gauge increases with air flow change in car

Greetings all,
I ahve a problem that is driving me nuts (no oun intended)!
Whilke driving my 94 Camaro, i have noticed lately that when i change the air direction on the climate control to either defrost or panel, the
temperature guage goes from around 180 to under redline. I change the air flow to floor, and the temperature decreases.
A friend of mine said that the freon in the AC system needs to be adjusted. Apparently the pressure was too low and these model camaros have a tendency to do this.
My question is, how do i fix this? Is it the air flow, and if so why? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You,
--
Shadowwing
"Careful, you idiot! I said across her nose, not UP it!!"

Yes,
As soon as i change the direction of the air from panel or from defrost to floor the temperature drops like a rock.
--
Shadowwing
"Careful, you idiot! I said across her nose, not UP it!!"

chances of the engine coolant temp changing that drastically in such a short period of time is pretty much nil. It really could be anything. The climate control system might have a bad ground and it is "stealing" the ground from the cluster. Again I'm not sure this is what's happening, but it is a possibility. I've seen a bad headlight ground cause the turn signal indicator to come on and still light up the headlight. That was no fun to figure out. I guess my advice would to be to take it to someone who has a good understanding of auto electrical systems and the proper tools and diagrams for your car.
Cool, Thank you for the Help!