The 1977 LG3 305cid V8

I recently received the gift (?) of one of these disco engines. I was wondering if anyone had a decent source of info on it. So far I know they had 145hp (pretty sad) and it is a 2 bolt block. What I'm more wondering is, in light of its vintage smog era origins: is it any sort of candidate for modern use? Before it made it's way to me someone did add some performance oriented parts to it, edelbrock intake manifold, holley carb, headers to dual exhaust. Right now it sits in a 55 bel air 4 door, and it does move that big heavy car around with some power...

So, any and all useful info you have, or a hint on a good website I should check out, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.

Reply to
Slev Milachnea

What heads are on it?

Reply to
JimV

factory castings looks like.

Reply to
Slev Milachnea

Yes, but what castings. Heads are everything. Well, almost :-)

Reply to
JimV

ahhhh. i live about 100 miles from where i store my car. I'll get back to you in about a week as to which castings... hey nows a good time to ask: how would i go about finding the #. a hint of where to look?

Reply to
Slev Milachnea

Under the valve cover, in the middle(ish). Need to check both sides as they may be different.

Reply to
JimV

I tried to send photos of the engine. Kept being rejected by the "post filter". Are photos a no-no here? Just checking.

Reply to
Slev Milachnea

Yo Jim: check out a link to the photo's.

ron from this group showed me how to set it up at image shack.

Reply to
Slev Milachnea

But I can't see the casting numbers. They are under the valve covers.

Reply to
JimV

It doesn't matter. The casting marks on the side of the head mean that they are 305 heads.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

just the regular factory smog slugs eh ron? i was pretty sure, thanks for confirming it.

Reply to
Slev Milachnea

Most likely. The valves should be 1.84 int. 1.5 exh. Not exactly know for allowing great amounts of fuel and air through them. If they had a right angled triangle on the side then they would be 350 heads, double humps are fuelie or LT1 heads, etc. They all should have casting marks that denote the general engine they came on. This info is only good until about 1985 or so, when they changed to the top bolt design, never had to rebuild many of those.

...Ron