The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.
Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.
To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.
I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?
Thanks!
Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
If there is no crack where it broke, get a new baseplate and attach it right next to where it was. No one will notice. You can get the baseplate at any windshield shop. You would be well off to have them install it.
Al

Al,
A small 1-inch crack did form on the interior side of the windshield that does not penetrate to the exterior side of the windshield and runs horizontally in the sunscreen portion of the windshield, of course.
Given this, does your recommendation change at all?
Thanks, again,
Joe
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:53:59 GMT, "Joe Colella"

Still take it to the auto glass shop and find out what they can do in your situation. They are the people who will be most knowledgeable and can tell you if you have to replace the windshield or not.

Ron,
Shame on me for being cynical, but is their salesperson going to try to sell me a new windshield?
Joe
Yes the sales person is going to try to sell you a new one, and he should. The windshield is a safety device, from your description the integrity has been compromised and should probably be replaced. The windshield shop ay refuse to work on it since that might make them liable for any harm that may come to the occupants of the car in the future.
wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;A small 1-inch crack did form on the interior side of the windshield that<BR>&gt;&gt;does not penetrate to the exterior side of the windshield and runs<BR>&gt;&gt;horizontally in the sunscreen portion of the windshield, of course.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Given this, does your recommendation change at all?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Thanks, again,<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Joe<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Still take it to the auto glass shop and find out what they can do in<BR>&gt; your situation.&nbsp; They are the people who will be most knowledgeable<BR>&gt; and can tell you if you have to replace the windshield or not.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ...Ron<BR>&gt; --<BR>&gt; 68'RS Camaro<BR>&gt; 88'Formula<BR>&gt; 00'GT Mustang<BR><BR>Ron,<BR><BR>Shame on me for being cynical, but is their salesperson going to try to sell <BR>me a new windshield?<BR><BR>Joe<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thanks for the advise!
wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;A small 1-inch crack did form on the interior side of the windshield that<BR>&gt;&gt;does not penetrate to the exterior side of the windshield and runs<BR>&gt;&gt;horizontally in the sunscreen portion of the windshield, of course.<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Given this, does your recommendation change at all?<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Thanks, again,<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Joe<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Still take it to the auto glass shop and find out what they can do in<BR>&gt; your situation.&nbsp; They are the people who will be most knowledgeable<BR>&gt; and can tell you if you have to replace the windshield or not.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ...Ron<BR>&gt; --<BR>&gt; 68'RS Camaro<BR>&gt; 88'Formula<BR>&gt; 00'GT Mustang<BR><BR>Ron,<BR><BR>Shame on me for being cynical, but is their salesperson going to try to sell <BR>me a new windshield?<BR><BR>Joe<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

No, I would still have a windshield place take a look. Someone said to try epoxy. I tried it one time and it broke a chunk out of the glass about a year later. The car was sitting in my driveway, came out and the mirror was in the seat.
Al

Thanks, again!