Thermostat Gauge bouncing

does anyone know why a thermostat gauge bounce in a 1994 camaro 3.14 liter? it goes up to 235 degrees then drops to 195 then goes back up? Any help would be nice! thanks

95 camaro wrote:

Could be a sticky thermostat, bad fan (if around town only), or a bad sensor. If it's really getting up to 235 get ready to do a head gasket.

The temp gauge in my 94 S10 started doing that a few weeks ago, in a narrower (20-25 degree) band. Then it settled down at 165-170 and never went beyond that. Had the gauge checked, it was OK, so my mechanic ordered a new sensor. Had the cooling system flushed and the new sensor installed this morning, and now the gauge is acting right. John Jones, Detroit