Tire Choice

Guys. I need new rubber for my 96 Z28 with OZ rims 245 45 ZR17 95W and was wondering what would be the better choice. I am looking at either Falken 451 or the BFG g-force KDW with the new tread pattern. The Falkens are about CDN$1100.00 installed and balanced while the BFG are CDN$1700.00 installed and balances. Are the BFG g-force tires really worth the extra $600.00? Thanks in advance for you input

Fred Newton

Reply to
Fred Newton

I choose Bridgestone, they haven't let me down yet. They are generally more expensive, but I can't remember having any blowouts on the highway over the last 20 years.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

What is the application you will be using them for? Are you a summer driver? Track? All Weather? (Please tell me you don't punish your Z by driving in snow/salt........poor widdle Z.)

The application will affect your choice.

GLK9MM

I only use it during the "no snow or cold season" and park it inside in the winter. It is typically my daily driver in the late spring/summer/early fall. I'm not a fan of paying the city so I rarely speed excessively but I am an aggressive driver (read like responsive vehicle that handles well). I usually go down to the Sunday Night Cruise so I'd like them to look good and the new BFG KDWs have a wicked thread pattern. The only question is how do they compare and am I paying $600.00 just for the look of the thread.

Reply to
Fred Newton

Then my honest opinion is to go with the a set of HP or UHP Summer tires and I wouldn't limit myself to just those two brands and models. Why? As you said you don't drive in snow (and I assume rain) and you are using it as a daily driver. Things to take into consideration are tire compound (wear/grip/etc.) Also keep in mind tread pattern and wear will affect tire noise.

I've got no experience with Falken and have been well pleased with my BFG in the past. However, for my money, I'd save $600. I'd do a little research on Falken compounds though if I were you.

GLK9MM

Thanks Martin and Ron for your input. I'll have a look at some other manufactures and take your advise into consideration when choosing. Thanks again for the assistance. Just a note that they are mounted on OZ rims. I don't know if that will make a difference or not. Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred Newton