Todays silly question

Just wondering what the professionals might do with a part like this:
I'd like to clean, de-rust and paint all parts of the headlight door
mechanism as part of the full restoration that I'm doing.
Although the car isn't a numbers-matching example, it seems a shame to lose what original features like this remain, under a coat of paint....
My budget certainly doesn't run to tracking down perfect NOS items to replace perfectly serviceable parts, but I'd like to do a restoration that is thorough and yet as sympathetic to the remaining originality as possible.
Thanks for any suggestions
As an afterthought, what do the crossed out numbers above the printed ones represent and why would they be crossed out??
If replying direct, please replace "toomuchspam" with "rs-ss"
Website under construction www dot rs dash ss dot co dot uk