turbo 400

I had a turbo 400 with an extended tray built by my dads friend who owns a tranny shop ... i had a 350 turbo tranny and he said that we should have a

400 ... we also have our 383 stroker bored 30 over.
Reply to
69chevelle

What question did you have? Of course the TH-400 is a better choice, it was originally designed to take more power than the TH-350.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

I have a 454 powered 73 Nova with a TH-350. It's a street driven car and the engine is very mild, runs 12.00 @ 113 MPH. The transmission has never been a problem. To put a TH-400 in my car would require enlarging the transmission tunnel. Or that's what I've been told.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I once had a '72 Nova, and I replaced the TH350 with a TH400. The tunnel required no modification at all. What I did have to do was move the rear crossmember back about 8", and get a shorter drive line with the larger dia. yoke for a TH400.

If you can find a TH400 out of a '68 to '72 Chevy or GMC pickup with a Th400 they are the same length as a 350, so all you would need is the yoke. There could also be other applications that used the short tail shaft 400's

Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

Gary,

Thanks for that info. I have a built 400 in my garage. It's a spare for my

62 Chevy II. Someday I'll see if it's the same length as the 350 in the 73. My car has 3.5" exhaust with a "X" under the tail shaft.

My 73 does not have a TV cable. Another annoyance:) And the frigging dipstick tube is a constant pain in the arse. It's always leaking where it enters the transmission. Had to put a flexible dipstick tube on the 62, and most likely will have to do the same to the 73.

Al

Reply to
Big Al