what would you do

Hello everyone.
Your fine newsgroup has always been a great source of information and inspiration...and omg, do I need some now.
My Camaro 2001 LS1 needs a rebuild because of piston slap. The car is at a
dealership right now and they want $6000+ for a rebuild. $10000+ for a new engine.
what would you do?
All the best,
Patchman 2001 Camaro Z28
Use the 6-10K and buy a '67 or '68.
Patchman wrote:

3 years old and no warranty? I was selling cars in 2000-2001 and the big hype with chevy was the 5 year warranty then Dodge came out with 7 year warranty. I would check into the warranty and why you don't have one.
Jamie

Jamie wrote:

2001 Model would be out of warranty. If not, GREAT! But, if you do need to put in a new power plant, then I'd go for a crate with a bit more power. For 10K you can get a power plant pushing 450+hp out of the crate.
www.motorsporttech.com (and a myriad other sites have packages avail. with warranty.) Granted if you do buy a crate, then the dealer will probably gouge you on labor if you don't put it in yourself.
It depends what you are after. If it is just out of warranty, I would make a big deal with Chevy about it. My mother had a Blazer that the trans went on just after the warranty expired... they gave her a new trans and she paid for labor.
This would be an excellent time for more power. You could take it elsewhere and look into a performance rebuild on it.
If you are worried about the cost, you may be able to find a used engine.
I would go the performance rebuild option... but that it my taste.
Good luck.
On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:20:17 -0400, GLK9MM

the tall one wrote:

That is a good point. If you squeak loud enough, GM might actually fess up to the fact that engineers do not design a power plant that is piston slap tolerant. Bloody Liars.
I'd buy one of the many forged short blocks for sale on ls1tech.com and some spray!

What is the best way for a layman to tell if a motor has piston slap? All motors make some noise when they run. How do you know when you haven't had experience with other motors of the same type to listen to? Is it a deal where "If ya have to ask, it isn't slapping!"?
I have a 2001 LS1 and I do hear a bit of noise but for all I know everything is fine. Nothing seems obviously excessive to me but I'm not an expert ear. I have very little warranty left BTW.

** To email a reply, please remove everything up to and including the underscore in my email reply header.