wheres a idle control valve on a 3.1L

and does anyone know how to check it to see if it is bad or not?

It's in the throttle body,
if you're not experienced on backprobing computer control wires, and don't at the very least have a 10 megohm input, digital volt meter.
I would say don't bother asking for the diagram, nor the testing procedure, you'll do major damage.
I can tell you. These valves and the throttle body area where they seat and air passages they manage get quite filthy.
Before you do anything, pop the plastic hose from the rubber snorkle hose that goes to the air filter, and look for antifreeze. Then you have a horse of a different color, especially if it looks like a grayish black mayonaise.
I hope this helps?
Refinish King