ZZ4 350 chevrolet -- need opinion

I'm thinking about buying a first-gen Camaro, the owner has recently installed a ZZ4 350 crate motor, stock ports/stock intake ports. I've never tinkered with one of these, are they good daily drivers? How's the gas mileage? Are they dependable engines?

Thanks

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Haven't checked the mileage on mine. It is very dependable, has a hydraulic roller cam so valve adjustment is not an every week project. Although mine is not, I think it would make a good daily driver and has lots of grunt.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Wilkinson

OK Thanks for the input. I'm still not sure if I'm going to buy this car, I wonder how much value the car loses by having a 'new' engine in it instead of the original.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

If the car was originally a 6 or low perf V8, then it is probably worth more with the good crate 350 in it. However, it the car came with a DZ or big block, then it has less value now....but keep in mind that once the original engine disappears, then the car will never get it back again...so it is a moot point.

Reply to
J Forbes

Yeah that 's true, maybe I'll go with this Camaro after all. I'm just hesitating because this car is for sale long distance (Ebay of course), call me old fashioned, but I like to see a car before laying down big money that I have to borrow from the bank....

Terry

Reply to
Terry

I think you're just being smart about not wanting to buy a car sight unseen. A couple guys I know buy cars from ebay, and usually it works out ok, but one guy has forfieted deposits a couple times because the cars turned out to be junk (ie. dishonest description).

Be careful, don't commit yourself to buying it until you can inspect the car carefully!

Reply to
J Forbes

Doesn't EBay have an inspection service (for a fee I am sure) that will certify the vehicle?

I thought I read that somewhere but I don't recall where.

Reply to
NoOne

Hey Terry, was the Camaro you were looking at a 1983 Z-28 with a ZZ4 and located in Baltimore Md?

~John

John King

John, no it was in southern California-- in a 68 Camaro RS. I decided against the car, not because of the engine though, it also needed paint.-- Terry M.

Reply to
Terry