01 Jimmy Upper Control Arm Bushing

I have an 01 Jimmy 59,600 miles and I get a clunking sound from the left front are near the A Pillar when I pump the brake and of course when I am on slightly rough pavement. I drove the mechanic I use and then he drove it and said that he thinks it is the Upper Control Arm Bushing and will put it on the lift next week when I leave it for him.

My question is how much would this be in parts and labor hours? He quoted my $275. Is that a fair number?

PS I live in Queens NY where labor is a bit higher than other places.

Thanks Double Tap

Reply to
Double Tap

well NAPA lists the upper control arm bushings for between $19 and $24 depending on 4x2 or 4x4. Then there is the option to replace the entire upper control arm assembly for $146. Labor I am guessing at about 2 hours assuming no frozen bolts. Then figure in an alignment. Given your locale. I would say its in the ball park. Given the control arm has to pulled to change the bushings, I'ld have the ball joint done as well which is listed at $30. Keep in mind the shop is going to mark up the parts normal is 1.5.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the info, most appreciative. Double Tap

Reply to
Double Tap

That's awfully low mileage for them to need replacing. My 89 with

165,000 miles on it was making a clunking sound and the bushings on it did look like they needed replacement. Mechanic agreed. $1000 later the front end is a bit tighter with new ball joints and bushings but the clunk is still there, turned out it was the door moving.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I just *knew* you're a wonderful mechanic!!!!!!

Reply to
nonsense

How so? Because the clunk turned out to be from something else? But to provide a fuller story, It started out based on a clunking noise that sounded like the bushings. Looking further, you could move the right side upper control arm back and forth easily with a pry bar so there was no doubt that side was shot. Plus you could see a hunk of the rubber was gone. Not feeling like doing the work myself I just took it to a local shop. When they had it apart they found the ball joints were also shot. None of this is surprising for a vehicle with

165K miles on it. Was I surprised that the same clunk was still there?? Sure. Was the work unnecessary? Not at all.

What's it like to be perfect?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That's the thing, sometimes when your trying to find one problem, you find another. Even though the front end needing Rebuilding, it didn't fix the Original problem, but at least it ruled that problem out and got it fixed before you had other problems, and in the end you found what was really causing the Initial problem. Believe it or not, but a car can have more then 1 problem at a time. Some you see or hear and other's you don't, or at least not at the time. Noises on a CAR can be quite hard at times to track down. From being hard to even get it to do it on command, to thinking it's coming from the RF when it's coming from the RR. You won't believe the number of times of having a Customer come in complaining of a Noise, so go on a test ride with them, letting them drive, and then it doesn't do it. Must be 90% of the time is seems like. A lot of the time you can't get a car to make the noise on a rack. So you can be playing a guessing game. If you see something BAD and need fixing, then you fix it and rule that part out. Sometimes I wish I could be Under the car while it's being driven around being able to move from place to place to track down exactly where that noise it coming from. A door moving Clunk is not a common thing and again Sound can and will play tricks on you.

Reply to
JBDragon

Ain't it the truth. Years ago I had a 72 Chevy 400 big block that was making a classic bad tappet noise. No question about it, coming from the tappets. Took the valve covers off and adjusted all of them, still had the noise. Really irritating. Then one day I thought, could it be the fuel pump? I've had a lot of chevy's and never had a fuel pump make that kind of noise but I went ahead and replaced it. Noise gone.

This door noise was really weird. Did NOT sound like it was the door. Would make the noise when you braked, just like a loose bushing on that upper arm might do. One day I held the door open to better hear the noise... no noise.....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It has its days.

Reply to