02 Avalanche Humming Noise

I have a humming noise comming from what seems to be somewhere in the middle (transmission??) or towards the back of the truck (rear end??). When I am driving and giving it gas there is no noise but when I let up on the gas the humming starts. I crawled under the truck this morning to check the u-joints and they do not seem to have any problem. But, by twisting the driveshaft back and forth there is about three inches or so of slack. Is this normal? I also checked the fluid in the rear end and topped it off using about 1 quart of differential lube. Would the rear end being about a quart low have caused something within to start making this humming noise? Thanks.

Reply to
MWZ

That amount of slack is excessive, and the noise you're hearing is ring and pinion whine and/or pinion bearing noise. See if the nut holding the yoke on the differential is loose, if it is, (or if it isn't even) your differential needs work.

Reply to
Steve Barker