03 silverado radio dead

My radio died today, got in the truck and the display is normal, vol line goes up and down when turned but no sound from either the cd or the radio. it is the am/fm w/single cd player. the display shows the station or track playing on the cd. thanks for any help. it is still in warr but curious if this has happened to anyone else.

bob

Reply to
R BERUBE

Happened twice so far in my 04 Sierra. Look under the hood at the power distribution box. Pull the radio fuse, then reinsert it.

KenG

R BERUBE wrote:

Reply to
KENG

This is interesting, I have a brand new Sierra, and on the 4th day of ownership the radio had no volume whatsover, the radio seemed as though it was "on" listing the radio station. I turned it off, and on again and it worked normally. It is now a week old and I havn't seen this problem again, but the truck is still very new.

Reply to
Richard B

My 03 Silverado has done this twice. I'd hop in and go someplace and the Radio didn't make any noise at all though everything else looked and controlled fine. I'd turn it off the truck and go someplace and when I come back and the Radio is working Normal once again. Funning thing is, when it wasn't working and I turned the truck off, and Open the door and close the door and start the truck right back up the Radio still had no sound.

Reply to
JBDragon

Happened to me once. Computers are junk but the whole world is controlled by them. I also had my right door module to fail and had to take it in to get it reprogrammed. I'm worried to death about that electronic speed control. Whats gonna happen if it fails driving through the busiest traffic and it thinks you have the pedal to the floor.

Reply to
Goff/Williams

Haven't had that problem, but I'm on my 4th stereo in my '03. I've got an appointment to get it replaced again. Lots of various other problems. EQ button stops working, stops reading CDs after gettting hot, etc.

Reply to
scrape

I think you and I have the same AM/FM Single Play CD unit that is in my

2004 Silverado, which I bought in February. I use only burned CDs in the truck and I have never used any commercially produced CDs in the player. Some of my CDs are direct copies of CDs and others are compilations of several different CDs. For the first 3 months, there was no problem playing any burned CDs. The CDs were quickly recognized by the player and the played flawlessly -- no skipping, no tracking errors and no track access problems.

So far, I haven't had the "dead radio" problem, but about 2 months ago the unit did this:

The player has an icon on the player display which lights up when there is a CD in the player. You can remove a CD from the unit by pressing the eject CD button even when the unit is off. From here on, I will be trying to recall the exact sequence of events that led to the CD player problems so that I will never repeat them.

With the engine running in Park and the player turned off, I ejected the CD. With the player still turned off, I inserted a different CD and the unit turned itself on and the CD began to play. Then, after about 10 seconds, the playback stopped, then there was some skipping and there was an error message which said something like "invalid media" and the CD was ejected. I tried this CD again and the same thing happened again. I tried several other CDs and the same thing happened to all of them. I turned the player off and back on, but all of the CDs would play for about 10 seconds before they were ejected.

With no CD in the player I turned off the player and the ignition and waited for a few minutes and then turned the key to the accessory position and tried the CD player again. Again, all of the CDs played for around 10 seconds, started skipping and then were ejected. After this, I drove to Costco with the FM radio playing, turned off the radio and shut off the ignition. An hour later, I started the truck and put another CD in the player. This time, there were no playback problems. I tried another CD and then another CD. All of them worked perfectly and 3 months later, the problems have never repeated themselves. I guess that something in the player reset itself during the hour that the truck was parked.

According to the owner's manual, inserting a CD into the player when it is turned off is not the proper procedure for activating the auto play mechanism. Here is what the manual says on page 3-85:

"If you want to insert a CD with the ignition off, first press the eject button or the DISPL knob." Apparently, my mistake was not first pressing the eject button or the DISPL knob. Pressing the eject button or the DISPL knob must initialize the system so that it will execute the series of commands which will allow it to accept a CD when the unit is turned off. This initialization procedure must already be activated when the player is turned on. On page 3-87, there is a list of CD messages which tells why a CD might be rejected by the player. A message not listed should probably read, "You have inserted a CD into the player when it was turned off without first pressing the eject button or the DISPL knob."

However, after the above experience, I still occasionally eject CDs from the player when the player is off, but I NEVER insert CDs into the player when it is turned off. My theory is that something in the CD mechanism got confused during the automatic start function which is initiated when a CD is inserted into the player when it is off. In the OFF position, the player is supposed to sense the presence of a CD in the slot, activate the CD motor which accepts the CD, turn on the player and play the CD.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Sounds like you could have got a spec of dust on the laser eye and when you drove to Costco it vibrated off. The simplest things could make any electronic machine not work.

Reply to
Goff/Williams

Pulled fuse and reinserted and did the trick. thanks alot for the input. bob

Reply to
R BERUBE

.....In regard to phantom radio problems:

Yeah, that's the scary part of driving any new vehicle. Manufacturers have designed proprietary cars and trucks that are totally computerized. As these vehicles age, their electronic components corrode and decay. As a result, many electronic problems will be intermittent, and these are the most frustrating of all problems. Dealers are most effective in replacing totally-failed components, not in diagnosing intermittent problems.

From what I have seen, you are far better off having your vehicle towed into a dealership with a total failure: A blown up engine (as opposed to one with an intermittent knocking noise), a transmission which will not work at all (as opposed to one with an intermittent shifting problem), an air conditioner compressor with frozen bearings (as opposed to one which makes an occasional squealing noise) etc.

My fear of the radio's CD incident was that the dealer would pull the unit out of the dash board and I would have to look at the gaping hole for 2 months. Then, the dealer would install a refurbished radio in the dash and this unit would also fail -- again and again.

This is why I bought a 5-year GM, 100K mile extended warranty which I hope that I will never need to use. Some new vehicles are so electronically-complicated that even the dealers can't fix them. I hope that my truck doesn't turn out to be one of these.

Reply to
One-Shot Scot

Reply to
bobo