'03 Suburban Air Conditioning Woes

Hi All,

I have a well maintained '03 Chevy Suburban Z71 which is no longer producing cold, air conditioned air. I haven't played with AC for many years so any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

First, the compressor is running, the hose running from the compressor to under the firewall is cool to the touch. The return hose is obviously warm.

There is a smaller tube coming from the firewall running over the condensor which is ice cold, but there is a joint (compression fitting) a foot later where the coolness basically stops...this tube continues on to the top part of a 'Y', one section running back to the firewall (warm), the bottom part running to something behind the headlight (warm).

I'm at a loss here, and can't think of anything else to describe. I can take pictures if it will help any. The problem I face is that there are no local shops that can get us in until after the weekend, but my pregnant wife isn't going to survive the 8 hour vacation trip on Saturday in the heat and humidity. I think you see my problem. ;)

Thanks for any help and suggestions. Alex

Reply to
alexbohner

Do you have rear a/c? If so, a stopgap measure would be to turn the rear a/c as cold as it'll go. I'm sure this is obvious, but it might help to be said.

Does the blower blow at all speeds, if not: do you park under trees or plants that shed a lot of stuff. If so, I suspect it can drift into the space where your evaporator is.

Last possibility, could it be the indash control?

Just my .02 worth.

Yours, Bill Martin - soon to be ex-owner of a '95 suburban (finally being purchased by Allstate after more than 8 months of horrible repairs after a deer collission in WV - don't EVER use Harry Green Chevrolet).

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Bill Martin 704 906-1902

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't park under trees, and the blower does blow at all speeds. The good news is that I found the rear air is working, which should get us through the long weekend. Good call! Further testing shows that switching the front controls to heat produces hot air, while switching it back to cool produces ambient air again. I'm not sure what this means, or how best to determine the cause of the problem, but it probably means it is time to take it in for a checkup.

Any last thoughts on the problem would be appreciated. Thanks again!

-Alex

Bill Mart> Do you have rear a/c? If so, a stopgap measure would be to turn the

Reply to
alexbohner