'03 Suburban CD Initializing

Driving in our newer 2003 Suburban and my wife goes to change switch CDs in the 6 CD Changer and it doesn't switch. The display now shows INITIALIZING and the CD icon flashes but we can't do anything to the CD - eject, change to another cd, play, etc. Nothing works!

Anyone have any suggestions?

David

Reply to
David Levine

I'm sure you've powered it off by now. I've had a problem with mine that required taking it to the dealer to get reprogrammed. Actually, it had to be replaced and the new one reprogrammed.

Reply to
scrape at nc dot rr dot com

Reply to
Bobo

We only have a couple CDs that were made and had labels on them but I'm not sure if they are even in the CD player. From the post, I assume that is something that can cause issues? The CDs were used previously in a single CD player in our old 99 Suburban.

We dropped the car off at the dealer so hopefully they'll get to work on it tomorrow. I'll report back what the outcome is.

Thanks for all the suggestions here and via personal email.

David

"Bobo" wrote in news:Rz6wb.1666$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
David Levine

Reply to
Bobo

It's safer to just write the contents straight on to the CD surface using a Vivid. (Magic Marker or Permanent Marker in the US.)

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Is this something specific to this particular unit/changer? I've used them in the past both in my Honda Accord's CD player and in the 99 Suburban without any issue.

Not that I'm gonna do it, but how do you get the radio out - remove the entire dash? Is the unit ruined or does it just need some help getting the CD out? How involved a process is it?

From your last response, it seems to be something that isn't too infrequent (labels on home made CDs). Maybe they ought to have some warning on the CD player you have to remove. They have enough other warnings inside that need to be removed - what's one more? And the way things are going with services such as Napster, iTunes, etc, it's going to become a more popular method of acquiring music.

Do you happen to know if it is because of a homemade CD, will they likely charge or will it be covered under the new car warranty? The car is new -

1700 miles.

Thanks! David

"Bobo" wrote in news:sYbwb.1872$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
David Levine

A "Sharpie" works for me on the homemade CDs. No problems with the changer in my 'burb.

Reply to
Stan

Heh.. lots of names for the same old fiber tipped markers.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

If it is due to a homemade cd and you bought it there, have some service done there, or are a new customer, as long as they have someone like me at the dealer (someone who can work on small electronics without a manual) then they probably won't charge you... for a DIY it's not too bad.. as long as you have some small tools... the radio practically falls out of the dash... just tilt the wheel down all the way, put the e-brake on and shift into low... pull the bezel that wraps around the wheel and covers the radio toward you... all snaps.. no screws... once thats out of the way, a few screws , or detent tab hold in the radio.... as far as removing the cd's, you have to pull the cover off the radio and look inside... Can't remember exactly what's there, but on one I was able to see the cd and the sticker rolled up.. I merely pushed the label down and unstuck it from the mechanism.. plugged the radio back in and finished ejecting the cd... on another one it stuck 2 together so it was a little more work to pull the top one away and eject that one, then peel the rest of the label off and away so the next one would eject....Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

I just wanted to close this out in case anyone else is searching posts and finds it.

Dropped the truck off last night and they worked on it today. I didn't get to talk to the individual that worked on it but they called my wife to tell her we could pick it up. There was no charge. :-) They had all 6 CDs out of which 2 had labels on sitting on the console when she got in. The labels were fine and didn't look like they had been caught on anything, scratched or pulled. Even though it might not have been the reason, I told my wife not to put any CDs with homemade labels in the unit.

Thanks to EVERYONE for responding (here and thru private email) and especially to Bobo for providing a lot of good info! It's all very much appreciated.

Regards, David

"Bobo" wrote in news:8Lvwb.2081$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
David Levine

"David Levine" wrote

We run 4 Suburbans (1996 - 2001) and they all have had problems with the 6 CD Changer. As to the stuck CD, take a flashlight and look inside the slot. The CD gets usually stuck about 1 - 2 inches from the exit with the slightly tilted CD's leading edge scraping the upper part of the slot. Slip a thin blade or even a business card above the edge of the disc and press slightly downward while pressing the eject button. This usually does the trick. By the way, all CD's can get stuck, not only the self-labeled ones. However, Deutsche Gramophone CD's- which may be a little thicker - are in our experience particularly likely to hang on exit. Just for the record: None of the 6 CD Changers used on our Ford Excursions has this problem.

Reply to
Hanna Lahy