03 Tahoe engine fan noise

My 03 engine fan clutch will keep the fan whirring loudly immediately after startup, like an old Willys Jeep, even when it is cold out OR the engine is cold. It lasts for about 1/2 mile before it settles down. I was told by the dealer that this is NORMAL, due to the computer, ya da ya da ......I dont remember it doing this when new 18000 miles ago...wassup with this....true or false? Thanks

pretty much true... they take a little bit for the fluid in the viscous clutch to warm up and start working...

after

is

the

Larry wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty much normal. Mine seems to do it randomly during the spring through fall.

The only thing to note, is that it's not the computer doing the switching. It's a regular old clutch-fan.

-marc

Get a new fan quick! That one is getting ready to go, then you'll really have problems when the radiator blows.

after

is

the

dont

this....true

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:49:28 -0800, "David Rennick"

When the radiator blows? I'd LOVE to hear how the fan clutch going bad and the radiator blowing are related, do tell...

Or is it just troll season again? Thought this would have happened when it was below zero and all the trolls were inside trying to get away from the bitter cold, thought they'd all be back under bridges by now.

Mayhaps when the fan dies the engine over heats and then boils over?

~KJ~ <don't yell at me NG>

engine

by

dont

this....true

I've seen a fan clutch seize up, then come off and go into the back of the radiator, hence the radiator "blows"! :>)

That's what I would call a catostrophic failure! I was thinking more along the lines of just failing to work properly like mine did and it locked up MORE than it should have been. Wouldn't be overheating in that case...