03 Tahoe engine fan noise

Threaded View
My 03 engine fan clutch will keep the fan whirring loudly immediately after
startup, like an old Willys Jeep, even when it is cold out OR the engine is
cold.  It lasts for about 1/2 mile before it settles down. I was told by the
dealer that this is NORMAL, due to the computer, ya da ya da ......I dont
remember it doing this when new 18000 miles ago...wassup with this....true
or false?  Thanks

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise
pretty much true... they take a little bit for the fluid in the viscous
clutch to warm up and start working...
after
is
the

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise

Yeah, it's pretty much normal.  Mine seems to do it randomly during
the spring through fall.

The only thing to note, is that it's not the computer doing the
switching.  It's a regular old clutch-fan.

-marc

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise
Get a new fan quick!  That one is getting ready to go, then you'll really
have problems when the radiator blows.

after
is
the

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise

Wrong.  This is normal.  The fan clutch is locked when it's both dead cold
and nice and hot.  It takes a few minutes to get warm enough after a cold
start to release.

Doc

dont
this....true

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:49:28 -0800, "David Rennick"

When the radiator blows?  I'd LOVE to hear how the fan clutch going
bad and the radiator blowing are related, do tell...

Or is it just troll season again?  Thought this would have happened
when it was below zero and all the trolls were inside trying to get
away from the bitter cold, thought they'd all be back under bridges by
now.

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise
Mayhaps when the fan dies the engine over heats and then boils over?

~KJ~
<don't yell at me NG>

engine
by
dont
this....true

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise
I've seen a fan clutch seize up, then come off and go into the back of the
radiator, hence the radiator "blows"!  :>)

Re: 03 Tahoe engine fan noise

That's what I would call a catostrophic failure!  I was thinking more
along the lines of just failing to work properly like mine did and it
locked up MORE than it should have been.  Wouldn't be overheating in
that case...

Site Timeline