'03 Tahoe (loose suspension or steering column connection??

2003 tahoe with 11,000 mile and i'm noticing that the steering column is starting to vibrate abnormally when i go over small divits or bumps in the road. Could this be a steering column problem or front end suspensio problem. I treat it very well and avoid dips/holes in the roadway. Kind of feels like something connected to the steering column is loose when i'm holding onto the steering wheel and going over these bumps. Thanks in advance
Reply to
drab

Bobo

Reply to
George

Depends what you call "vehicle life" Strange how vehicles go. A 1970's truck is, while old, still a service vehicle and often used by 'workers' round these parts, to haul shit etc.... A 5 year old car is ancient, need a new more efficient Maibatzu

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Hi!

Not really. It's all in who the driver is. So long as it's got wheels and runs...I'll drive it.

(Why else am I so interested in a Diesel Chevette?)

By compare, my mom almost disowned her 2000 van when the tranny started leaking.

What is that?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Reply to
Bobo

"Bobo" wrote

Too true....I wonder if the poster is thinking about the lower bearing campaign on the steering racks? I don't recall any campaign on truck steering boxes.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I think they switched to r&p...no more gear box

Reply to
jason

I have a 99 Z71 - maybe I'm talking out my ass. If I am, I'm sorry. Here's the link. . . .

Reply to
George

"George" wrote

Thanks for the link....and no.....you are right. I just don't remember that campaign.

It's GM number is 98062.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"jason" wrote

Two wheel drive trucks have the rack and pinion, the four wheel drive trucks still use the steering box. The steering linkage is designed in such a way that if you don't look carefully, the linkage looks like a rack and pinion linkage.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I check with local service manager at dealership and he stated that they are seeeing more of this type of problems from the '03 tahoe. He said chevrolet has told them to install a steering lube kit into the column near the firewall area (about a 45 minute job). He said that they cannot guarantee for life, and that Chevrolet told him that it will be up to the owners to keep this column lubed. I don't understand that. Why don't they do a recall and completely repair this problem?

Reply to
drab

That costs money. Thats money they could keep. Simple equation. Plus that would involve installing a new steering column as far as I can read. Plus, stuff that needs greasing should be greased - simple :-)

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ