03 Trailblazer Transmission Problems

All, Just thought I'd post a problem I'm having to see if anyone else has seen it.

03 Trailblazer, 4WD, LT w/ 6-cyl.

I'm on my 5th trip to the dealer this month. Symptoms are first that I cant turn off the ignition to remove the key. It will go to the accessory position, but no further. Multiple attempts at shifting to park, etc, have no effect. The shifter goes to park, but wont unlock the key.

Once I start it back up, the transmission will only operate in 2nd or

3rd 'gear'. It will not shift between them. If I put it in drive, it starts out in 3rd and stays there. It hasnt ever happened while driving. Always seems to happen from a stop after starting. May happen more when shifting from reverse to drive. In any event, when it happens, it stays that way (never resets itself) and I have to floor the gas to get it to move. Something is going to get hurt in there but I fear it wont show up for another 30k miles....

I get the follong DTCs (from my mostly generic OBD2 scanner, so there may be more). I got more but lost my list. There were a couple referring to Shift solenoid, maybe another on the Torque Converter, a couple references to Shift Solenoid A and B (if I recall) DTC P0743 TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical DTC P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical

The dealer indicates resetting the codes fixes the problem, it comes back in a couple days but I cant find a consistant time when it always happens (to recreate it).

The dealer is now saying they think it is my Skyfi add-on xm radio. Its wired into the circuit for lighters in the console. I told them I would humor them and not use the XM and see what happened. Drove it a few days, and it happened again. Now they want me to completely disconnect the wire (which I did) because they still think that is the problem. They have historical info that says aftermarket radios will cause this if wired into the wrong place (which I dont think the cig lighter is!) They seem to be going after the low hanging fruit and I cant blame them, but until I prove it isnt the radio, they wont do more.

Hope this helps someone down the road (I tried to put in keywords that would hit in a search) and if anyone knows anything that would relate to this, I'd appreciate a note....

Reply to
Bruce Brownlee

Trans Surgeon is the guy to ask!

But I haven't seen him around in a week or so. Ask Doc, he is a really good diagnostician when it comes to transmissions also, if he hasn't already picked up your post.

Good luck, you'll need it when working with some dealers!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

It didnt take long, I have all the codes now. :-)

According to the service ticket, 34 miles driven since it went in. Maybe 6-8 engine cycles (start/shut-off).

Got the following codes scanning AFTER the problem came up. P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction (net lookup says code is: TCC Enable Solenoid Circuit Electrical) P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical (net lookup says code is: 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical) P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical (net lookup says code is: 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical) P0785 Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction (net lookup says code is: TCC 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical) P1860 Manuf Specific OBD-II (net lookup says code is: TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical)

I sure do like this model. I think me and the dealer GM will be having a very long conversation tomorrow when I drop it off..... They've already made me a very good offer on a loaded, new 04. (of course, they have 54 of em on the lot)

Reply to
Bruce Brownlee

Reply to
bobo

Thanks for the update.... Actually, you nailed it.

They told me this AM that they have had to replace the "Ign 0" fuse every time. They just never wrote it down since it wouldnt get paid by warranty.

I talked to the tech this AM and told him it always happens when starting or shutting down and maybe it was related to the tilt wheel, never happens when driving. We put in a new fuse, he moved the wheel up and down and on the third time the fuse blew.

They replaced the harness and although I havent seen it yet, there was probably a wire chaffing in there that was blowing the fuse.

Guess I'm stuck with my '03 for a while now. :-)

Reply to
Bruce Brownlee

I know this was from back when but I am having all the same symptoms, 2003 Trailblazer let ect. Key gets stuck in ignition, many transmission codes. I t also takes off in limp mode. I replaced ignition switch twice but did not fix anything. Took it to tranny shop and they too couldn't fix it. Any sug gestions would be great.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
jerms8008

Need to know what trans codes. You might want to find a better trans shop as well.

It could be a bad harness, bad trans, failed TCM or failing ECM. Without the codes it's a shot in the dark.

Reply to
Steve W.

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 8:34:32 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

3 Trailblazer let ect. Key gets stuck in ignition, many transmission codes. It also takes off in limp mode. I replaced ignition switch twice but did n ot fix anything. Took it to tranny shop and they too couldn't fix it. Any s uggestions would be great.

did you ever fix the problem with trailblazer? I am having the same problem s/codes

Reply to
krobinette0904

Ignition Module was the culprit on mine (2006 Trailblazer EXT 4x4). Weak battery (Had frozen early in life) was also in play. I believe the weak battery led to shortened life on the Ignition Module. There is (was) a TSB out on the PCM or ignition module having issues. They first replaced the PCM which worked briefly (disconnecting the battery reset codes). Lasted a week before problem resurfaced. They then replaced the Ignition module. I was lucky, it was all under warranty.

Codes I was getting were P1682, P1516, P2119.

Reply to
John Hartshorn