1500 z71 5.3 or 6.0??

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 1999 5.3 engine that I'm just not feeling very comfortable with, it's starting to nickel and dime me.

I've started a new truck search and want to get a Chevy Silverado z71

4x4 extended cab with a 6.0 engine, tow package. I need the bigger engine because I'll be towing a 27 foot camper, 5000-6000 lbs.

The Dodge towed it "fine," but knowing there is a stronger engine out there.....

I don't have the funds to buy new, or even the 2007 and 2008 used models (honestly I don't like the new design very much) so I'd like to get the 2006.

My question, through all my searches, 98% of the 2006 trucks I have found have the 5.3 engine. It's very hard to find one with all that I want with the 6.0 engine.

Should I just settle for the 5.3?! I really don't want to buy another truck if it's not gonna be a step up from what I already have. But I just can't find one with the 6.0.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
smk17

Actually, the Dodge has a 5.2 (318) engine, not 5.3

Reply to
smk17

Hold out for the 6 liter or better. You might want to look at 2500's, probably easier to find the 6.0 in those.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Look for a 2500 or better. OR see if you can find one with a D-Max in it. Lot's more power and better mileage when empty as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Given that GM2500's came/come standard with a 6.0 this is REAL easy.

Reply to
SnoMan

Important information. ___________________________________________________________ SBJ: 4T65E

(Confuses a 4T65e with a 4L65e and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Dumb brake question
(Discribes the wrong brakes and won't admit it.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Front wheel bearings-2000 Blazer??
(Claims torque specs are wrong when they are not.)___________________________________________________________SBJ: Snoball Defense System v1.01
(Snoball breaks these out when he knows he's wrong and doesn't want to admit it.)___________________________________________________________

Reply to
2009heatwave

Yes very important! Heatwave is a such a child. Some never grow up and they throw fits when you challenge them. Knock yourself out!

Reply to
SnoMan

"some never grow up and throw fits when you challenge them." I challenge you, and you throw fits. Pointing out something so obvious was only detrimental to yourself.

Reply to
adminymous