180F Thermostat in 88 Suburban

My fan shroud was reducing the cooling efficiency so much (and making the waterpump work extra hard!) that when I removed it, I got some much extra power the engine was overheating and I had to add a 4-core aluminum rad to handle the extra heat.

Some people eh? Seems there is no limit to what someone will do to booger up a vehicle to save $4.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I understand what you're saying rock. Basically, if she was running at 195* before and you crested a nice hill towing a load you were at 230* (or 35* surplus heat). Now, you should be seeing 215* cresting the hill (180* + 35* surplus) as the excess heating load is still there but you're starting at a lower point to begin with.

This "solution" works only for vehix when they overheat under extreme load for short periods of driving. For a truck that is always running hot, switching the t-stat wouldn't accomplish the same results.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"