1942 Chevy Coupe

We would like to start a project but we don't know how to start. We would like info on the rear end and front suspension for car stated above. Any other info on fixing a 1942 Chevy coupe street rod would be appreicated. Please post with any info.

Thanks in advance, Victor & Frances Samaniego

Reply to
Frances Samaniego

You should try another group for opinions, but my father has 3 53 and

54's right now, and he is streeting one of them. These cars use a torque tube. IOW, the driveshaft is built into the rear axle. So if you are getting rid of the stock tranny, you'll have to get a new rear axle. He is using a ford 9", but I believe the rear axles from some Monte Carlo's, Early camaro, and Nova will work, depending on what you want in wheel offset, spacing, etc. If you are staying stock, dual carbs and an Offy intake will make it run well. One version of this engine in GMC's (53 I believe) would turn 6000 rpm stock and is a great hop-up. If you are going anywhere past stock on the power, you should put a swinging pedal on the car (late model brake MC on the firewall).

Front end design is interchangeable with the first Vette's. It works well stock. Front disc brakes are an easy chore. Here's a supplier we use, and I suggest you post to rec.autos.antique or another chevy car forum for more help.

My father dropped a 350 in one, and has the GMC 6 with the dual offy intake and dual 4+2 exhaust in another. I can get some pictures for you, but I've had trouble in the past emailing photos to webtv addresses with my ISP.

Reply to
John Alt