1977 GMC K2500 Ignition/Starting problem...please help

Okay, the truck was running fine and I hit a huge pothole, and the next time I turned the truck off...it wouldn't start again, dead silience, no clicking, cranking, etc. I checked the battery - 12.5 Volts with the truck off. I tested the starter, by shorting the posts as it says in the Haynes Manual...and did the same with testing the solenoid (which worked well and cranked the engine)...so those both worked fine.

I was in the midst of measuring voltage between solenoid/ignition switch wire and ground - but never got a reading.

So I know the problem is electrical - either ignition switch, neutral safety switch (which I did replace...see below), or just wiring.

So I was checking out the neutral safety switch and noticed the PARK wiring harness/wire is pretty darn hot when I am tring to start the engine (of course the engine didnt do anything, no click, no crank, etc). Is this common (the heated wire?) I did get another one at Autozone, but it wasn't a direct match...so who knows if that would have solved it.

PLEASE HELP, WHAT ELSE CAN I DO??? Are ignition switches normally the problem in this case?

I did check as much wiring as possible - when it gets to the firewall, it gets a bit messy and the fuse block is right there. Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated...thank you!!

-adam

Reply to
Ramredneck

Scott