1985 305 & 1972 307

I just pulled the HEI dizzy, intake manifold and heads off of my 1985 K5 with a 1985 305 engine.

I also have 1972 chevelle with a 1972 307 in it, and it has valve train issues. I was wondering if I could use the 305 heads to complete this engine and get it running? At least the cap on this car is bad too, and it was converted to HEI so should the distributor fit & work? I am looking at just "throwing" it together. I haven't disassembled the valves on the 305's heads, and would like to use the push rods from the 305. A zero cost repair, call me cheap but will it work?

What gaskets should I go with if it will?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Yes. 307 head and 305 intake gaskets. Some 305 heads wont accept other small block manifolds. It is a missing bolt hole on the #8 exhaust.

Reply to
Shades

So your saying I should just use the 305 intake manifold then? The 307 is probably worth more on eBay anyway$ :-)

Then the question; should I also get my 305's quadra jet running right and ditch the holly 2b on the chevelle? I'm thinkin I should ... put the $24.00 into a rebuild kit and see how it goes. Probably get it runnin on the 2bbl first just since I've never done something like this before. Hey will the holly 2bbl bolt onto the 305 intake? I would assume yes. Chevy got the interchangeability under the hood _so_ right. Transmissions to transfer cases are a different story, Ford & Dodge are good there so I'm told. But then ford & their engine-to-transmission nightmares......

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

INLINE...

Yes, unless you are partial to the 2bbl Rochester.

Like I said, should be a Rochester 2bbl. But, correct, Go with the Rochester Q-jet!

Remember to get a new float and also make sure the primary shaft doesnt have TO much play.

Nope! Not without a vacuum leaking adapter.

Reply to
Shades