1985 Custom Deluxe 10 w/305 to 350, 4 barrel carb, switch to 2 barrel?

Have an 85 Custom Deluxe 10 Chev P/U with 305 that was rebuilt to 350 at 72K. Now has 105K

Mileage sucks, getting 10 or 11 mpg.

Would it help to replace the 4 barrel Edelbrock with a 2 barrel? Or should I rebuild the 4 barrel?

Also, get a pinging noise when going up slight inclines on freeway until I give more throttle. EGR Valve?

Rear end gearing is for towing trailer so I know that's part of problem, but when I first had the truck got better mileage than now.

Reply to
Tacoma Chevy Owner

++++++++++++++ Is that Edelbrock a holley rip-off? If so a Q-jet *might* help, Is the feedback carb history? An '85 should be a feedback. Hey wait, shouldn't a '85 be TBI?

Could be, could also be timing, lean mixture, or carbon build-up.

Have you tuned it up lately?

Reply to
Scott M

What Edelbrock carb is a Holley rip-off?

California only.

Not necessarily.

Not until 1987.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

You'll get better mileage with a Quadrajet than a 2-barrel....you just have to keep your foor out of it.

Reply to
Hoover87

Didnt know, thats why I asked. So its really a Q-jet? Sorry but I hate carbs, they're soooo 70s :)

That sucks.....

Reply to
Scott M

==== ==== Tue, Feb 17, 2004, 10:07pm (CST-2) From: Tacoma Chevy Owner

Have an 85 Custom Deluxe 10 Chev P/U with 305 that was rebuilt to 350 at

72K. Now has 105K Mileage sucks, getting 10 or 11 mpg.

Would it help to replace the 4 barrel Edelbrock with a 2 barrel? Or should I rebuild the 4 barrel? Also, get a pinging noise when going up slight inclines on freeway until I give more throttle. EGR Valve?

Rear end gearing is for towing trailer so I know that's part of problem, but when I first had the truck got better mileage than now. ======= =======

What kind of transmission are you running?

MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster