1985 K5 305?

Okay I am going to do a compression test but I am almost 100% sure my head gasket is shot Once I get my heads off will there be any way to tell if my engine is a 305 or a 350?

The radiator shroud says it's a 305 The guy I bought it from THOUGHT it was a 350

I can't see any numbers (at least with the heads on) anywhere on the block at all. Should they be more visible when I take the heads off?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Also how should I find TDC on cylinder one?

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
Frank Ross

measure the bore

305 = 3.738 350 = 4.000

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

This wouldn't happen to be a white blazer with a black stripe, white top and a grey interior, purchased perhaps somewhere near Baltimore, would it??

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Look on the block behind the drivers side cylinder head. There should be either a 5.0 or a 5.7 there. It's up on top of the block, directly behind the cylinder head.

Pull off the rotor cap and turn the engine until the rotor points where number one plug wire was. Now look at your timing mark on the pulley. Put 0 or the deepest groove on the timing cover in line with the groove on the pulley. You shouldn't have to move it more than 10 degrees or so. When you have done so, you're at TDC.

For reference, every vehicle that I've ever looked at that someone "thought" had a 350, was a 305. If you have the 350, you know. Otherwise you keep throwing money and parts at it, trying to get it to run like it should, until someone sets you straight.

Reply to
John Alt

is the bolt boss near the oil filter mounting area tapped, or there at all ?

if there is one and it's tapped, its a 350, or so I've been told

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Measure the cylinder bore. 4.000" and it's a 350. 3.736" is a 305.

To find TDC before the heads are off, take the #1 plug out and turn the engine till you feel compression, then turn the crank untill the timing mark is on 0-deg.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Inline.................

Can be done with the heads on. On the top-rear of the motor, where the tranny bolts on you will find a casting number. Hint: start at the distributor and work your way downwards and rearwards and you'll find it. Post the # and I'll tell ya what it is. If it ain't there, there might be a casting number just below one of the the cylinder heads on the front of the block.

Your could also pull a valve cover and get the casting # off the heads, which is cast into the top of the head. If it is a 350, it'll have 64 or

76cc heads..................if it has wee little 56cc heads it's likely a 305.

Uh huh, that's what they all say.

Nope.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

1) Pull all eight spark plugs (step #3 is impossible to do by yerself' unless you yank all plugs) 2) Stick yer' finger in #1 (front hole, driver's side). 3) Hand crank the motor till you feel pressure building on yer' finger 4) Keep cranking until the timing mark on the balancer meets up with 0* on your timing tab.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"