1986 C10 with 305 4bbl 305 "H" - HARD CORE TUNE-UP

Just purchased this truck from the inlaws...Grandpa's truck.

Here's the deal, been sitting but started/run abotu every other week in the last three months, prior to that was basically sitting for 9 months. Has been used as an rural errand truck, trips to the dump, driving around the pasture, and that's about it.

70K miles on the clock, good straight metal, fairly good shape and it does run, but it needs some help before I drive it 60 odd miles back to my house.

It hasn't seen the premium side of maintanence so I plan on giving it a hard-core "tune-up" out at the inlaws,

Filters - Air, fuel, breather Ignition - Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs Radiator Flush

Is there anything else that really Should Be done? I want to USE this truck as a daily driver (12 miles to/from the office) after I get 'er home.

Once I get her home, I will probably pull the tanks and check for rust, Change out the motor /trans mounts, change the trans, diff and engine oil...then I can get down to carpets, seat covers, etc... You get the idea.

Reply to
thefishhunter

If it were my truck I would change the oil and filter b4 driving it 60 miles to your home. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Thanks guys, will add those to the list...

Belts, PCV and Breather were already on the list, (great minds think alike.) How about removing the EGR, and giving it a good scrubbing as well??? Oil change is definitely a possibility...

I am reluctant to flush the brakes until I get it back the house, as I don't want to do the brakes "under the shade tree." but will check the pads, drums, fluid levels, etc. ie. give it a run through just to make sure.

Reply to
thefishhunter

Transmission service. brake flushs are a gimmiack

Reply to
polarisracer15

Learn a little about brake fluid before spouting off.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Actually, no, they're not. Brake fluid has the tendency to absorb moisture, which can do evil things to the metal parts of a brake system. That's why you're supposed to store brake fluid only in its original container, and tightly capped when it's not being used.

Imagine buying a car that's been sitting 20 years (which I did in summer 2004, actually). Assuming you can get it running under its own power, would you really feel comfortable driving it with

20-year-old brake fluid?

Kind of an extreme example, I'll admit, but I trust it makes my point?

It might not be necessary to flush your brake system as often as all the service places would have you believe, but trust me if your brake fluid is more than a couple of years old it should be done - ESPECIALLY if the vehicle has been sitting for a long time, or if it's only driven infrequently.

Reply to
xmh31d_64