1988 Checy C1500 - "popping" in muffler & runs rough

Vehicle:

1988 Chevrolet C1500 2x4 with a 4.3L V6 & standard tranny

The truck was in perfect condition, then was in a fresh water flood where it was completely submerged under water for about an hour.

I have changed all the fluids, filters, etc. , as well as replaced the following with new parts:

- distributor cap

- rotor

- ignition module

- ignition coil

- spark plugs

- spark plug wire set

The 4.3L starts and runs. However, it runs rough, and there are LOUD pops as unburned gas mixture explodes in the muffler/tail pipe area. "I do not see any backfiring coming back out of the carburetor."

I'm pretty sure I have the timing, fuel and spark all working as they should.

I'm wondering if it could be one of the following?

- catalytic converter clogged up?

- emission control stuff plugged up?

Any thoughts as to what I should try next :-) ???

THANKS, Gene

Reply to
Gene

Just SELL it to a local BEANER. They will drive it just like it is. In fact, when they go to pick up Jose/Jorge at 4:30AM they wont have to lean on the horn to wake them up. From what you describe, your truck sounds like a *NEW* car in Mexico!

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

LOL - never get firing order data from the kid at the auto parts store. After thinking about it, I went back to the shop manual & checked the spark plug wires. Two wires were swapped. It runs like new now:-)

Thanks all, Gene

Reply to
Gene

hahahah that'll teach yah.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I had a Ford Ranger that didn't run right. Four cylinder, two wires reversed. Took me a while to find that problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon