1988 s10 wont start?

Just bought a 88 s10 with the 2.5 4cylinder. It was running a little rough so I decide to do a tuneup. I did the plugs and wires and drove it and it was better then I decided to do the cap and rotor. Now I cant get it to start. Anyone know the firing order and is it from front to back of motor or? What about on the cap? How can I check if distributor is getting spark still? Thanks!! :)Nel

Reply to
:

Ok..cap must have come loose when I cranked it and the rotor dug into it cracking the cap and damaging the rotor. Went and got a new cap and rotor and now it sounds like its old self cranking but wont start. Just changed the coil figuring I could have shorted it when the cap scraped the rotor and no luck. Now I am going to try the pickup for the ignition?? Its supposed to be mounted on top of the distributor..we will see..Any ideas?? Thanks:)

Reply to
:

pickup and ignition module are both under dist cap - you can undo the module and take it to autozone for testing. not sure if they can test the pickup or not.

Reply to
xmh31d_64

Thanks for the reply!! Where is the module? under the pickup assembly?? Thanks!:)

Reply to
:

found the module and going to get it tested. By the rotor rubbing on the cap while trying to start it could of shorted out the module?

Reply to
:

take one of the wires aloose from its spark plug, and plug a spare plug into it. touch that plug to the frame or engine of the car. You should see it spark.

A timing light is an excellent way to check if each plug is firing, one at a time.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

u forgot to tell him to turn over the engine

Reply to
no one

The modules sometimes just go bad. Happened in my own truck a couple of months ago. Driving along, suddenly engine just shut off. No discernable reason for it, it just quit. New module, fired right up.

Reply to
xmh31d_64

Still no start?? I have replaced the coil,plugs,ignition module,cap and rotor. Any ideas?? Thanks everyone for the help!! :)

Reply to
:

only thing left is a Fuel Problem. First of All WHAT are you working on?

Reply to
no one

Car, truck, lawn mower, scooter? What are you trying to fix?

Reply to
Bob M

Reply to
service51