1990 K-1500 with 350 oil consumption questions

I have a 1990 Chev K1500 4x4 with a 350 in it with 138,000 miles. It goes through a quart of oil every 200 miles ( that's a LOT!). It's been that way for a few years now. No oil leaks, no blue smoke except on engine start. It runs quite well, no plug fouling or missing. I figure it is either the valve oil seals, valve guides or both. Has anyone else had experience with this problem? Did you find a solution for it? Does anyone have enough experience with working on a 350 to suggest if the problem is usually the guides, valve oil seals or both? Is it practical to R and R the heads on an engine with 138K on it or is that asking for new problems? Any comments or suggestions much appreciated. Mike H. Seattle.

Reply to
Michael Herron

"Michael Herron" wrote: > I have a 1990 Chev K1500 4x4 with a 350 in it with 138,000 > miles. It goes > through a quart of oil every 200 miles ( that's a LOT!). It's > been that way > for a few years now. No oil leaks, no blue smoke except on > engine start. It > runs quite well, no plug fouling or missing. I figure it is > either the valve > oil seals, valve guides or both. > Has anyone else had experience with this problem? Did you find > a solution > for it? Does anyone have enough experience with working on a > 350 to suggest > if the problem is usually the guides, valve oil seals or > both? Is it > practical to R and R the heads on an engine with 138K on it or > is that > asking for new problems? > Any comments or suggestions much appreciated. Mike H. Seattle.

GM had a lot of problem with valve guide seals in those model years and my 89 burb was recalled when it was a few years old for a valve seal upgrade. With a few proper tools, they are not hard to change at all and you can do them all in a 2 to 4 hours ( or less depending on how fast you work)

Reply to
SnoMan

Mike I recently have gone through the same thing with my 1991 C1500. I didn't think it was burning oil out the tail pipe either until one calm, warm day with very little breeze when I had to get into the throttle pretty heavy and finally saw the smoke in the mirrors. A dry then a wet compression test showed I had one bad cylinder and that it was rings. I have since run it for another 3 years but after a recent tranny melt-down decided to yank both out of the truck. The block is at the local engine machine shop right now. I have yet to send out the tranny, but know where it will be going. Sounds like you're in for a rebuilt. Hopefully your truck is in good shape too, so that you might feel it's worth it. I figure 2-3000 Cdn is way cheaper than 5 more years of payments. Good luck. Kevin

Reply to
KV

I disaggree, I would check valve gudie seal because if they have never been changed they are know to do this. GM redesigned them around 91 or so and there was a TSB on it too.

Reply to
SnoMan