1991 Chevy C1500 Suburban Ignition Problem

OK, This morning I got in my truck to head to work. I tried turning the ignition to the start position but never got there. It seems as if it gets stuck in the ACC position and no matter how hard I try to turn it something is keeping it from going all the way. After about an hour of fiddling with it and lots of WD40 it managed to slip past whatever was holding it back and cranked. Well, I get to work and shut the engine off. For kicks I try to crank it back up and again it gets stuck in the ACC position. I have resigned myself that the ignition is screwed so I am going to replace it. My problem now is finding complete instructions on how to do so. Ive read and reread my Haynes manual but the instructions are very sketchy and I dont have the cash to go out and buy a Chilton's manual until later on this week. Does anyone know where I can get step-by-step instructions on how to replace it? And no, it does not have the pinhole at the bottom of the ignition to release it :-(. Please reply ASAP as I really do not want to have to sit in the parking lot and WD40 the crap out of it to get it started when I leave work today.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
big.drizzt

Pull the steering wheel, remove the lock plate, can be done with out the special tool, but its much easier to "borrow" one from Advanced or Autozone. Remove the turn signal switch( three philips head screws). In the upper right quadrent just below the turn signal switch will be a screw ( I believe its 1/4" hex) that retains the lock assembly, the lock assembly will then slide out.

But before all of this, have you tried a different key? Keys are made of a material designed to wear faster than the lock. Also make sure the ignition switch which is located on top the steering column at the base is not the issue. Usually if the lock assembly will turn at all it turns all the way. Another possiblity is the rack and pinion the lock assembly moves has worn out. The rod to the switch is attached to this part.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Ok, i know for a fact its the ignition as i saw metal shavings when i looked down into it with a flashlight. Thanks for all the help though Whitelightning as i will now know what else to check as far as ignition goes the next time something happens. it took me about 3 hours to do all of this today (as i was stupid and tried doing it without the "special tools" and ended up going to get them anyway) and now have a brand new ignition in my truck, one less thing to screw up any time soon ^_^.

Reply to
big.drizzt

That spring, man I think they use valve springs that didn't quite measure up lol. I wasn't doubting, but wanted all the bases covered, I don't make any assumptions about a person's abilities or knowledge, and also keep in mind three weeks from now someone who is clueless might be reading the thread looking for an answer to the same problem. I got real good at taking them apart, Vega, V-8, no power steering, and modified column out of a full size sedan, I wanted tilt. The screws holding the tilt mech together used to back out because of the stress generated by not having power steering. And I couldn't get the tool in Germany. developed really strong thumbs lol

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning