1994 Chevy 1500 won't start

1994 Chevy W/T, 4.3 L, automatic, 4 x 2.

Battery, alternator, cap, rotor and starter all replaced in past 6 months. Plugs and wires about 1 year old.

Engine tries to turn over but sounds like not enough juice to do the job. No clicking, just a really weak crank. Headlights, stereo and dome light all come on fine. I haven't lost the presets on my radio. With the head lights off, when I crank it the headlights start to come on. (???) I tried jumping it but didn't make any difference. I disconnected the cables at the battery and inspected/cleaned the terminals. There were no signs of corrosion. I checked the cables and didn't see any tears or cracks.

There was no warning. It's been starting fine. I drive it almost every day. I went out the other night and it wouldn't start.

TIA for any help.

Reply to
testy

I just checked the connections on the starter and couldn't see any corrosion. I also felt the connection with my fingers and it's tight and I couldn't "feel" any corrosion. No powder, etc. I didn't remove the starter to inspect the electrical connection so there's a chance I missed something, but I doubt it. Like I said, the starter is new. It was installed by a mechanic that I trust. I'm sure he would have thoroughly cleaned the cable terminals before installing the starter.

Thanks again for any help.

Reply to
testy

The usual reason for weak turning, include weak battery, or something draining the battery while the truck is off. Or, dirty cable connections.

Try a battery jumper pack, charger, or jumper cables off another vehicle. If it starts, that rules out some things.

One quick and dirty thing to try. Take both cables off the battery. The bolt that turns, if you push it good and hard, it pops out. Vise grips help. Pushes right through the plastic. Wire brush the bolt, and both sides of the metal where it touches the battery. Grease it all up, and reinstall.

Second quick thing. Put a volt meter on the battery terminals. Have a helper turn the key to growl starter. If the voltage drops below 11, you have a battery charge problem. With the key off, if the terminals spark when install or remove, you have a current draw.

Please let us know how things work out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gee, and I just typed all that other stuff. Well, some one reading this later may be helped. Please coat the terminals, and wire connections with grease, to help prevent later corrosion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon