1994 S-10 Blazer 4x4 Shifting Problem

The 4WD drive always worked before. Now when I press the button to engage 4WD High you can hear something click over (Like it's working), but front wheels don't turn. If I switch it to 4WD Low the rear tires lock in at lower gear but still nothing from front wheels. I was told that it could be the

4WD switch. I bought one to replace it, but on the box it says "If defective, shifter light will indicate 2WD when shifted to 4WD". That is not the case though, my light shows that it's in 4WD High and 4WD Low, when I push the button to engage it. The lights on the sytem shows that it's working properly but i have no output from front wheels. Any suggestions before I change the 4WD switch and possibly find the problem not solved?
Reply to
newton

The 4WD drive always worked before. Now when I press the button to engage 4WD High you can hear something click over (Like it's working), but front wheels don't turn. If I switch it to 4WD Low the rear tires lock in at lower gear but still nothing from front wheels. I was told that it could be the

4WD switch. I bought one to replace it, but on the box it says "If defective, shifter light will indicate 2WD when shifted to 4WD". That is not the case though, my light shows that it's in 4WD High and 4WD Low, when I push the button to engage it. The lights on the sytem shows that it's working properly but i have no output from front wheels. Any suggestions before I change the 4WD switch and possibly find the problem not solved?
Reply to
newton

I do not know if this helps. My 94 S-10 pickup has a lever to shift into 4WD instead of a switch. I had a similar problem which drove me crazy. A couple of months later the engine began running rough and found a vacuum leak in a line at the rear of the engine near the intake manifold which had become brittle and cracked. Fixed the vacuum line and on a whim I engaged the 4WD and alas it worked. The 4WD on mine is engaged through a vacuum switch.

R> The 4WD drive always worked before. Now when I press the button to

Reply to
Ronald Thompson

Before replacing the 4WD switch, here are some possible causes:

(1) Check on the rear/passenger side of the intake manifold to see if vacuum splitter (with 4 hoses) is attached. If you have also lost cruise control, this has probably fallen off or is cracked/broken.

(2) The vacuum switch on the differential sends the vacuum signal to the front wheel actuator which is under the battery tray. This actuator, in turn, engages the front wheels by a cable attached to the differential. A broken diaphragm on this actuator is common.

(3) An open/broken vacuum line in the path from the 4WD switch (on differential) to the actuator.

newt> The 4WD drive always worked before. Now when I press the button to

Reply to
cmplx80