1994 s-10 electrical help needed

1994 s-10 purchased used. Had a bad rear view mirror switch so I replaced it. First time using the new switch, it too went bad. I check the power and I am getting power from what appears to be 2 sources. This would be on the orange wire to the switch. I say this because if I pull the fuse for the mirror switch, the continuity light continues to light. If I also pull the courtesy light fuse the probe light goes out.

After spending lots of time on this, I have also discovered that when doors are closed the dome lamp glows, but it is dim. If I pull the dome lamp bulb, the problem goes away, and each fuse acts correctly.

The truck does not have DRL, and I have replaced the mirror switch, the third brake light, the door jamb switches, the headlight switch, and the dimmer switch, with brand new GM parts.

I did pull the door panels, as well as the accordions from the doors to the pillar and saw no cracked, broken or stripped wires. When I look at the schematics, I don't see where these two circuits cross paths. Assuming I want the dome lamp to work correctly, anyone out there have any ideas where to look for the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
earl

You said the dome light is dim when it should be off? And pulling the light fixes the short? Check the assembly that the dome light is in for shorting. Those things are made of cheap plastic, rivets, etc. Pull it out and unplug it and see if that fixes it too. That would seem to isolate it. Isnt there a timer on the light on the mirror? My Sonoma has one that keeps it on for a short time after the door is closed. It seems there would be a hot all the time wire for the switches on the mirror, and if equipped a switched off of the dome circuit for the other light on the mirror. It should be two separate circuits, especially if it has two separate fuses like you said. And it might have a feed off of the timer to the mirror. I'm not sure about the timer, it might be my alarm that does it, I dont remember.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

I did replace the dome lamp wiring, as it comes with the new third brake light. THere is a timer on the mirror, and I believe I mis-diagnosed that. It appears that with the dome light installed, I am back feeding power thru the orange wire which eventually goes to the outside power mirror switch. On the mirror switch, I am getting 2 power sources, and if I remove either the fuse for the mirror circuit, or remove the courtesy fuse, I am still getting power to the mirror switch. If I remove the dome lamp, the circuits behave correctly, and each responds to the respective fuse. Also, I have found the the reading lights on the inside rear view mirror do not work by the switches on the bottom, but will light if the door is opened. Not sure if that is compounding the problem, or if that is the problem. I will continue to nip away at this, and I do appreciate the replies!

Reply to
earl

All is now well! Finally got my hands on the factory schematic, and traced the wires, looking for the bad ground. Well, it turns out that the INSIDE rear view mirror, that had reading lamps installed is what went south. When the fixture went bad, it back fed power thru the loom into the OUTSIDE power mirror switch. Dont know how, but I replaced the INSIDE rear view mirror, and all is well.

Again, thank you to all that responded!

Reply to
earl

Cool!