1995 Chevy C/K1500 water pump and check engine light

We just purchased a 95 Chevy pickup and before we purchased it we had it checked out by a mechanic. They said that the water pump would need to be replaced soon as well as the power steering pump. They also said something about a valve gasket needing to be replaced. My husband and I purchased this truck to be his daily driver and with the hopes of being able to repair it ourselves (we have very limited knowledge of car repair but you have to start somewhere!).

So, 2 days ago we noticed the coolant reservoir was empty so we filled it with water to the fill line. Yesterday the check engine light came on and the reservoir was empty again. My question is do you think that is the water pump going out? Would that cause the check engine light to come on? If it is the water pump we would like to try to change it ourselves. I've found instructions on this forum for how to do that, but they were very brief. I don't know how to do things like "drain the radiator". Would a book like Chilton's help with specifics like this? Any very specific help you guys have would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
jessicaconn

Do you see coolant leaking anywhere? And you need to fill it with coolant, not water.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Well because it has water in it and not coolant it's hard to say. Yes water does leak under the car. We have been putting about 2 quarts a day in the reservoir and it's going through that. Now how much water is leaking from the cooling system and not the A/C, I don't know. I do know that it's going through a lot of water and that the mechanic last week when we bought the car said that the water pump was leaking and at some point (soon) would need to be replaced. I can't seem to find a place with an OBD1 tester to test my vehicle for free or I would just determine why the check engine light is coming on that way. My dad thinks that since I already know the water pump needs to be replaced that I should just go ahead and replace it and see if that does the job.

So, my question is does that seem reasonable? Should I trust that since the mechanic says the water pump needs to be replaced that it does? Does this seem like something too complex for a beginner? I have found pretty detailed instructions on how to do this elsewhere. Should I invest in an OBD1 scanner? Any other ideas?

Reply to
Jessica

Ask the guy that's going to do the work this.

If I have it fixed and it's not the problem then what ? If he says then we look elsewhere, then you might want to look elsewhere also.

Get some other person to look at it as well.

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

So you want to take the mech's advice then replace the water pump yourself I take it. Put some coolant in it instead of water and look where it's leaking out. It should be very apparent if it's the water pump and really nowhere near where air conditioning condensate drains. And the check engine light is an emissions control indicator which may or may not be tied to the coolant leak.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I replaced the water pump in my '94 Chevy 1500 a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination: oil changes, disc brakes, fuel filters, etc. However, I occasionally take on a project when I can.

My truck is 2wd and is the W/T model so it's pretty much bare bones...no A/C.

I noticed a vibration coming home from work one morning and it progressed until about a week later there was a terrible racket coming from the engine compartment. I drove it home (about 25 miles) and smelled coolant right as I turned down my street. When I pulled into my driveway, coolant was leaking like crazy. Keep in mind that I was guessing water pump so I was keeping a very close eye on the temp gauge the entire time. The engine never heated up.

I got a Haynes manual from a friend and replaced the water pump, the thermostat, and the drive belt. When you buy the water pump go ahead and get the 4 bolts that secure the fan to the pump...you'll save yourself some aggravation for a couple of bucks.

I wouldn't replace a water pump without replacing the thermostat. And if your drive belt has any wear at all (tiny cracks) I'd replace it as well. In fact, I was prepared to replace it no matter what since it's the prefect time to do it and I didn't know how old it was.

I paid about $32 for the pump, $8 for the thermostat, and $51 for the belt. I got ripped on the belt...I bought it at the local NAPA because I had to have it. It's about half price at Autozone with a lifetime warranty. I didn't replace the 2 hoses but that's not a bad idea. They didn't have them in stock and I couldn't wait. Plus I figured if they fail in the future they'll be a snap to replace.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Reply to
testy

Jessica,

If you have the time, try filling it and just letting the truck run in the driveway for a while. If you are going through that much coolant it should be easy to find the area that it is leaking and maybe that will make you feel better about replacing the water pump.

Also, yes, get a Chilton's, or a Hayne's or something. I use a Hayne's from Advance Auto Parts, but am told the Chilton's is better. Perhaps the others can chime in and recommend one vs. the other.

-Michael in Bedford, VA

Reply to
Michael

Hi, Be sure to check your crankcase oil. Make sure it is not watered down with coolant. If it is then it's possible there is a leak in the head gasket. This is where coolant can escape to and visa versa. Leaking head gaskets can disapate coolant rapidly in some cases. Are there any signs of oil in your coolant reservoir? I'm not a mechanic but this has happened to me before. Good luck.

Reply to
<A>