1996 Blazer "Service engine soon" light

My service engine soon light recently went on and I had my vehicle checked out. All came up ok and they reset the sensor but recently it turned on again... I think it is a problem with the catalytic converter/emissions but I haven't the funds to fix this issue currently. How can I switch off this light manually without plugging in a computer? Truck runs great, it is just an annoyance.

Jeremiah

Reply to
Jeremiah McNeal

Just disconnect the battery for a few seconds. That will turn off the SES light. Of course you will have to reset the time on the clock.

-- Diamond Jim The Old Devildog

Reply to
Diamond Jim

Operative phrase is checked out. Was a scanner hooked up and checked for codes from the ECM? If not it needs to be done so as see what diagnostic trouble code is recurring. Cross yer fingers its not a 1870 if this S-10 has the 4l60E trans in it. Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Try the EGR valve. My 1990 suburban had the same problem. Replacing the EGR solved the "check engine" light being on all the time.

Babu

Reply to
Nilanjan Brahma

I was told that if there is an emissions related problem that throws codes or what-not, that the dealership has to replace the messed up part and fix the emissions problem up to 10 year or 100,000 miles.

Reply to
twins0203

You were told wrong.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

When the emissions technology was brand new (late 70's or early 80's as I recall) the US legislation stuck the manufacturers with a 5yr/100k warranty. My GM dealer did not honour it here in Canada.

Reply to
Derek