1997 Chevy 2500 won't start

Hey Guys,

We need a little help from the experts. This a a work truck, 350 Vortec with 236,000 miles. We've been through several fuel pumps in it's life and when it wouldn't start this time my shop guys assumed it was another pump. Well, it's not this time. It's blowing the ECM fuse everytime it's installed. Without that fuse we can't even check for codes. I suspect the PCM itself is bad. Is that the unit just behind the battery? Are these frequent problems or is there somewhere else we should start looking for problems?

Thanks for all tips and pointers!

Reply to
BigIronRam

Let me revise that statement, the unit just behind the little toolbox and forward of the master cylinder. Is THAT the PCM? And BTW, what does VCM stand for?

Thanks again!

Reply to
BigIronRam

Update, we've completely disconnected the thing we think is the PCM and it's still popping fuses.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Found it! The wire to the crank position sensor had gotten up against the exhaust pipe on the passenger side of the engine and burned in two. This is a pretty unmolested truck, I'm kinda surprised this happened to it. If you have one you might want to check the wire routing and make sure it's not getting close.

Reply to
BigIronRam