1999 G30 Express 5.7 No Start.....

Patient is a 99 G30 Express Van - 5.7 Motor , Auto Trans 69,500 Miles

Water Pump went out and I replaced it. Ran like a champ for a week, then on a cold, rainy morning it took 30 sec or so to start and ran crappy till warmed. Did the same the next morning, and on the third morning did not start at all.....Cranked Ok but no start...

Scanned it...no codes....

Has spark at coil wire, so I'm suspecting the fuel pump.

Got a pressure gauge, it says 60 psi while cranking and during 2 sec prime...I can hear the pump also....Then it starts and runs OK.....till the next morning when it got real cold.

That was a week ago, has not started since. Today I cleaned up the cap and rotor, it then sputtered a bit but no start......bummer....

What next ???

TIA

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

wet plug wires???

ds549

Spark at coil wire does not mean spark at spark plugs. when was the last time Cap and Rotor where replaced, and was it replaced with a quality part such as AC Delco, Napa Gold, Standard Igniton, or discount house like AutoZones Duralast (ought to be called wont last) house brand or Wells? GM coils are hot, and will chew a cheap rotor up and spit it out in short order. Same with wires. And forget bosch plugs, stick with AC Delco or Autolite.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I get what you're sayin.....Cap, rotor,wires and plugs were replaced at 38k ....I don't remember with what but I don't do Autozone at all, Would have been Napa or Murrays.....

I don't have a problem with replacing them again, I just don't want to throw parts at it if I'm missing something else. Which is why I asked you guys, after all......

Is Dexcool known to be harsh on Ignition Wires? The whole motor got a good shower when the water pump went......Waddya think ???

I'll replace Cap, Rotor, Wires and Plugs......will post back with results.......Gimme a day or so.....

Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

If it got a bath with coolant the wires are probably shot. The additives in the coolant probably dried on them and is shorting out the system when they get damp. I would pull the cap and rotor. If they are in good shape wipe the cap down with some good cleaner. Install new wires and check over ALL wire connections on the engine to make sure none of them got coolant in them. Plugs are probably OK if you used a good set to begin with but I would still spray them with cleaner and blow out the pocket around them.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve, sounds like good advice.....I did clean the cap & rotor, but I'll replace all just to be sure !!!

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Here's the update:

I go and buy new Cap, Rotor, Wires, and Plugs ( Napa Best) and I get home with the goods.....but before I install them.....

I decide to turn over the engine so when I pull a plug I"ll see wet if the injectors are firing....advice from a friend, just to eliminate any fuel issues.....

Sombitch if it don't start right up....runs OK.....so I decide to let it run so it can charge and I don't have to work on an ice cold hunk o steel.....

While its running, I was fiddling around inside near the dist cap and got a good jolt from the coil wire at the cap end....So I fiddled with the rest of the wires and no shocks.....so at the very least I had a leaky coil wire.......

I changed out the cap, rotor and wires....plugs will have to wait for a warmer day.....it now seems to start well and ran great on a little test drive....Hoping it stays that way with the next weather change.....I'll post back in a week or so after more driving.....

Thanks a bunch, guys.....

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools