1999 Radio models

Will someone identify the radios available in 1999 for a Chevrolet 3500? My motor home's built on a Chevy but the previous owner or manufacturer installed a Kenwood radio. I want to get a Chevrolet AM/FM CD radio but don't know the model number. I don't have an owner's manual for the Chevrolet to see what radios were available options. The Chevy parts department was no help.

Reply to
William Andersen

Why throw in a stock radio once again? Who knows what stock radio it had in to begin with. Sure the chassis is a Chevy, but after that it's whatever the MH manufacture wants to install. Why not just install a new aftermarket radio with the features you want it to have? Anything from the basic, to pop out screens with GPS Navigation, Back Up Camera, XM Radio, etc.

Reply to
JBDragon

It probably never had a stock radio, the Kenwood was probably installed by the motor home manufacturer. I don't like the Kenwood: can't tell what the buttons are for without leaning over to look at them, and there are too many of them. I've looked at other radios and prefer the Delco. I have two other Chevvies and the stock radios are much easier to operate.

Reply to
William Andersen

The problem is that if it was ordered with a radio delete option (likely if it was a cab/chassis unit) The proper wiring harness isn't there. BUT that isn't a big problem if you can handle some wiring. What you will want to do is pull the Kenwood out and see if it has adapters to the factory harness or if it is direct wired. If it's adapted then you can tell by the adapter what units will fit (more than likely anything from

1994-1999 since 2000 was when GM started using the single buss connection) Then you need to find one that matches your interior and has the options you want.

a bunch listed for sale and they list the vehicles they fit.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the link. I don't want to pull out the existing radio until I have a replacement ready to install. I know that the Chevy wiring may or may not be there and that I may have to buy a harness of some kind. I don't think that's going to be a problem. I really got spoiled by how easy the Delco radios are to use in my Van and Minivan.

Reply to
William Andersen

it'd likely be much more expenive to buy this from the parts dealer.. check a scrap yard or ebay.

pull the kenwood out and see if the factory harness is there... swing it by a junk yard and plug a few in.. surely they'd have a few of that style in

Picasso

William Andersen