1999 S-10 4cy cruise control problem

This one is a bit weird. I bought this unit new, and strictly for personal light duty use. First off, I've worked on cars/trucks for decades. So I 'used' to know a bit about engines. But this one has me stumped. And Chevy dealer says nothing is wrong.

I took a long road trip on I90, long and straight. With limits of 75 mph on much of it.

I use cruise control. I would set the control for 75 and I would feel a 'slight' lurch now and again. It was like the engine was missing... When this lurch would happen, the dash lights, would flicker, real fast with each lurch. I could also see the volt meter flicker from the normal (approx) 14 volts down just a tad. It was real fast, the lurch, light and volt meter flicker. Almost so fast you weren't sure until my wife confirmed that she saw it also.

Battery posts/cables are tight and clean. Belts are tight and in good condition. Truck has 36K miles now and I maintain it at proper intervals. (I've driven trucks, big and small for over 50 years.)

The lurching does not appear when not using cruise control at 75mph. But the electrical flicker does. And the electrical flicker only occurs at 75 mph or higher, never below.

So is the problem electrical, or electronic?

BTW: this is my first auto transmission.

50 years and never blew a clutch, and had brakes checked before trip and at 36K still had 50% of pads left. I said that to let you know I'm not abusive and know how to drive.

Anybody have any ideas what I should make the Chevy Dealer check/replace next time??

Please and thank you.

Reply to
FireBrick

Had a similar problem with my 98 s10. Found a terminal on the battery side of the alternator was grounding. Wayne

Reply to
wayne c