2000 Blazer 4 wheel drive

Lately I have been using my 4 Wheel Drive because we are experiencing snowy weather. However, when I try to take the Blazer OUT of 4 wheel drive, it doesn't go out real easy and makes a loud humming noise and the finally a huge BANG that shakes the front and then it is out. It is push button activated. I told my mechanic and he didn't know what to do and he changed the oil in the transfer case and thought that would fix it. Well it didn't. With my same mechanic I had the right front wheel bearing changed a few months earlier. Do you think this could be my banging problem? Everytime I take it back to him and complain he tells me that is how the Blazer's are. I don't believe that because I have owned the truck for 5 years and this is the first year the BANGING has happened. Is there something I can specifically ask him to check, he said he could try the vacuum switch but he is not sure this would work. Otherwise my mechanic is very good to me but I think in this area he is lacking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
beth226

have him look or put on a vacuum switch-they're not too much $ although I don't know what he charges. If when you put it into 4wd and vacuum is routed to the servo-below the battery box and then none when you take it out(vacuum),I doubt that it's that. Next he should check to see if the servo is pulling the cable on the front diff. If that is happening , it's possible but doubtful, you're problem could be in the front differential. Not sure where you are but if he wanted to e-mail me (or call) I'd be happy to talk to him but I believe that something in the above text will help him. good luck jerry@peru- motors.com ps this system(in my opinion)is a pretty good system and once he understands it, I bet it'll be fairly cost effective to correct!

Reply to
blazerman

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:06:06 -0800, a rock fell the sky, hitting beth226 on the head, and inspiring the following:

It might be your actuator. IIRC - on my '95 Jimmy - the actuator is a pressue switch that activates or removes the 4WD hi or lo function. It has been known to go haywire in one way or another.

At about 120K miles, mine decided to start randomly put the truck in 4WD HI while driving on the freeway

Reply to
PerfectReign