2000 Blazer question

I just got a 2000 S10 Blazer low miles looks great. I knew ahead of the time that the gas gauge no longer works. Owner has told me approximately what to look for on the tach. Can anyone tell me what size gas tank this would have? And what was the estimated city/highway on this model?

Reply to
Ken & Sandy

What's the tack got to do with the fuel gauge?

It could be the stepper motor behind the dash. But if all other gauges work, it is more likely the sender. The sender is part of the fuel pump assembly. It is IN the tank and requires dropping the tank to service. Go here:

Sign up. You may then download the owner's manual for your vehicle as a PDF file. This will have the fuel capacity.

I drive a 97 and 2000. Assuming 4 spd auto and the V-6, I get 18 or so in town and 21-24 on the higway, depending on load and speeds driven.

They have about a 20 gallon tank. Maybe 21. I never go below 1/4. Some say this is not necessary, as the fule pumped through the pump is what cools it. I prefer to keep the fuel pump immersed in fuel to further help cool it. I've had to replace 2 on the '97 and it's a bear to do yourself, or, about $1,000 to have the dealer do it! Good luck.

Reply to
Miller

Nothing. Except without a fuel gauge I use the tachometer to judge when I have to fill up, or best it can be estimated. I'm only going to be able to drive it around town. I'm afraid it'll run out of gas on a highway trip. The gauge judges okay until you get near to a half a tank, then it just bounces around. In winter with using 4WD, defroster and the remote starter to warm it up in the morning, I know I'm using a lot more gas than in summer so I've filling it when my tach says 200 miles on it. Previous owner said he fills it in summer at 250 to be safe.

All other gauges work. I've heard the sender is a common probably in these S10s. I doubt I'll plunk $1000 into the truck. I'll just use a different vehicle for any long trips.

It is a 4 spd auto and V6, I never would have thought it would have as big as a 20 gallon in it. I'll check the manual and see if I can confirm the size. Thanks for the other info you provided.

Reply to
Ken & Sandy

Oh. Tachometer = engine revolutions per minute.

Odometer = miles driver (3 digit resetable, or total miles.

OK, that 'splains that.

Figure worse case 15 mpg, and 15 gallons. That's 225 miles, and leaves you 6 or more gallons in the tank. Or be be a bit more conservative, just fill every 200. Even with lots of idling you should be OK. Or if you're really conservative, do it at 150 miles. Even on a trip, that's 2.5-3 hours of behind the weel time; I like to stop every two hours at the max and stretch. I mean, it's not a race! :-) to get somewhere.

Reply to
Miller

What option package?

You mean the ODOMETER if your going by mileage.

Normal mileage for a 4.3 auto is about 18 around town and 21-22 highway. Depending on idle time and how heavy your foot is makes a BIG difference. I have gotten less than 6 mpg while on fire calls (engine sits idling through a 3-4 hour call) but normal drive mileage on the 97 averages 19 and the 02 gets 20-21.

Tank hold 18-19 gallons.

Reply to
Steve W.