2000 Chevy-GMC Siverado Recall Coming

I see in today's Green Bay paper a pending Recall Notice

for 98,000 2000 only Chevy/GMC Silverados where the Power

Steering Pump shaft can break .......

Allowing for Hard Steering & Power Brake reduced

effectiveness problems.....

It does not mention Serpentine Belt derailment.....

which I would guess may get involved too....

GM notices for 'Dealer Recall Service' come out in February 05....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

On my '00 Silverado I've noticed that when turning, it feels very clunky in the pedals and in the steering wheel. I've also noticed some odd clunks when stopping and accelerating. The dealer told me this was probably the intermediate shaft and it was notoriously bad on the '00's. Problem is, the dealer is about 3.5 hours from where I live so getting it fixed is gonna be a bitch. Hopefully this is the same part that the recall is for so I can get it fixed at a local dealer. So, IS it the same part?

Reply to
MikeC

Reply to
Mike Levy

Meaning I'm probably out of luck?

Reply to
MikeC

About time...we've only been dealing with this problem for the last 3 years. I guess someone has to sue GM before they issue a recall.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Likely the case if you don't have hydroboost. Only vehicles with hydroboost is my assumption based on what I've heard, considering the PS pump powers both the PS and the brake boost. Only connection between the steering shaft and brake pedal on a non-hydroboost vehicle is where they mount (the firewall).

However, you say you have a clunking or clicking in the column when turning? GM issued a TSB and I think has released a revised intermediate steering shaft to solve a similar problem. May want to ask around about that.

Reply to
Mike Levy

I have asked around at several dealerships, the only one that would fix it for free is the one I bought the truck from. :(

Reply to
MikeC

Unless GM has issued it as a recall, no dealer is obligated to repair it free of charge if you are outside the limitations of your warranty. It sounds like you may be in that position, which means the dealer you bought from is going to good-will the repair. If there was a recall issued, only a Chevy dealer can perform the repair on your Chevy, same for GMC. That's how they work unfortunately.

Reply to
Mike Levy