2000 Sierra - tailgate stuck!

The handle pulls up, one side seems to be unlatching (I think) but the other is just plain stuck and is not budging, if I pull the bedliner panel off, will I be able to access the mechanism to the handle back there to fix the problem? What is probably the cause? thanks! Frenchy

Reply to
frenchy

Craig M

There is usually a cheap plastic part that connects the door handle to the latch rod. I've had to put several on my 99. I keep a set in the glove box. A couple bucks for them at most auto parts places.

You will have to remove the trim to get under the handle.

Reply to
sticks

ah hah it was the plastic piece that held on one of the rods alright, thanks!

Reply to
frenchy

I had the same prob with my 00 Silverado. Take those bolts out and take the plastic bezzel off the outside by pushing it down and pulling the top out. Unhook the metal rods and the mechanism should come right out. You can try to lube it but I had to give it a smack with a hammer to loosen it up and it has worked great for the last couple of years.

Reply to
news